Recommendations and Opinions for new hard drive

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I welcome your recommendations or opinions of hard drive makes OTHER than IBM.
I am needing to replace my IBM 75GXP (aka P.O.S.) "again", and I am looking at either a Western Digital 40 gig/ATA100/7200, or the Maxtor 40 gig/ATA100/7200. I haven't looked at Seagate in a while, but I plan to research those soon.
I have heard that some Western Digital drives are now using "IBM" technology in their drives, and if that's true, I will not buy WD.
Any ideas would be very welcome...
Thanks for taking the time to read and/or reply..
Mag...

G

again? is that your 2nd or 3rd time to return it?
I would buy the Maxtor, because it is faster than the WD. If you are going to buy a drive for 100Gb, then you should get the WD, I believe the WD with 8MB buffer is the fastest IDE drive now

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I just bought my first Maxtor last night because they have ATA133 while WD has only 100. The only difference I saw was that Window XP booted 1 second faster. It's cheaper too. I may become a Maxtor man soon if things continue to be good for me.
Food for thought.

"The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do."

Tutlas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
i'd go with maxtor or seagate, stay away from western digital, i had one break on me once, even though its defidenly not the model u plan on buying. I have a 60 gxp thats screwing me right now and since u have a 75, i'm sure u just want something thats reliable. go with maxtor or seagate. get a good HDD that will last a long time.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the 40 gig westenr digtal acutal is a 40 gig 60 gxp in discusses. so if you want to stay away form ibm get the maxtor

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Maxtor drives are crap. IBM/WD are in bed although IBM does have good drives other then a few bad models. Seagate pissed me off more then once but thier newer drives seem better.

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

G

so which brand would you pick? Samsung? Fujitsu (I think you still could find some)?