Recommendations for a new CPU

Apr 28, 2018
Im a very very simple man, I do not need 4K, i do not want 4K, i do not need 120+ fps; 60Fps is fantastic and just fine for me, im on the boat of 60+FPS is redundant as ive seen 200+ and played it and just dont really see a difference in most games and the few I did I honestly preferred 60FPS.

That being said im not exactly up to date with the new CPUs and such, I know everybody will tell me to just upgrade to a Ryzen build, which i plan on doing around income tax time when I just rebuild the whole rig and hand me down my current one. but right now i can only really afford to spent about 100$ on a upgrade, maybe a little more. . . Im currently on a FX build with DDR3 ram and everything has been fine, every game I run is fine with the only exceptions being PUBG and Destiny 2, each one having playable but very jumpy Frame rates.

Example being in D2 some zones always give me FPS drops regardless of if i let the system auto detect and adjust my settings or if i crank them down to the lowest of the low. Always a drop of about 30fps with fluctuations inside that 30fps window but never dipping lower. Ive tested this with multiple setting combos and frame rate caps. That being said I can play the game at above 60FPS with the lowest ive seen it hit being 45 in the EDZ when there is a Cabal and Taken fight+Public Event+normal mobs+ supers being poped all at once. While PUBG. . . Well thats honestly just PUBG.

My GPU is a 1060 3GB and CPU is a FX6300 overclocked to a stable 4.3ghz.

Now were heading into 2019 and i do plan on passing this rig down to my brother when i eventually go to a Ryzen build. He is exactly like me in terms of expectations.

Taking what i said about Destiny 2 as its the newest game i own. Would it be worth it to upgrade the CPU to a FX9370 for it to keep up at Medium settings with a smooth 60FPS on most modern games and likely upcoming games he might decide he wants on PC instead of his console, or is my FX6300 okay and D2 and PUBG are just weird acting games.

I play games like ESO on max with 60fps (unless there is a insane amount of stuff happening and it goes to 45)

Here are other games i play with their behavior as well to give you a idea of how the system behaves right now. Because im not looking for a massive boost, just a cleaner experience since D2 is the first game ive seen issues with thats come out this year.

GTA V (High) (1080) (60FPS- Rarely drops past 55 when in combat, Driving 50)
ARK (High-Meduim) (60FPS)
BLACKOPS4BETA BLACKOUT MODE (MEDIUM) (55-60FPS)
RESIDENT EVIL 7 (HIGH) (60FPS Even stable 60 during the more insane moments)
WARFRAME (MAX) (Smooth as butter but then agian this is warframe)
DYING LIGHT 2 (MEDIUM) (55-60FPS)
DIVISON (LOW-MEDIUM) (60FPS) (MEDIUM-HIGH) (50-60FPS)
DOOM / RAINDBOW SIX SIEGE/ (HIGH) (60FPS)
QUAKE CHAMPIONS (MEDIUM) (60FPS)
WITCHER 3 (MED-HIGH) (60FPS)

You should sorta get the idea of what i have going on, Im just looking for some input that doesnt instantly turn into "Just upgrade to a Ryzen Build its so much better-ectectect"

I get it, 200+FPS Max-Ultra Settings APU Tech, Powerfull Singlecore and multicore, cheap, (assuming you dont need to now buy a new everything other then the GPU in order to upgrade) sounds amazing and i will eventually go for it but not right now.
-----------------------
---------------------
Short version. I wanna get a smoother experience and one that will last for atlleast another year with the target performance goal being 1080p 60FPS with Medium settings (Essentially modern console quality) across the board for most games that should come out in the next year at max. no fancy stuff, no bells and whistles, slightly above and i mean very slightly above current console quality is what im aiming for.

Would you recommend buying a FX9590 to replace my FX6300. Other FX line recommendations are also welcome as ive seen some debate about the 9590 vs the 8350

Solution

While the FX series had more cores, each core performance was very poor and the overall architecture quite poor as well. Ryzen had a much better Single Core Performance than FX, and is quite close to Intel's SCP. Match this with the 8 cores they have for Ryzen 7 and 6 for Ryzen 5, and you have a...
There is nothing on your current platform that will give you an fps boost. Sure you can get an fx 8350 and oc it to the same level as your current fx 6300. But you'll still be getting almost the same fps in every game except maybe black ops 4 and gta V (just a very small increase) this is because most games simple do not use more than 4 cores so adding another 2 extra cores isn't going to do anything for your.

As for the fx 9590. Don't just don't. It's one of the worst cpu's ever made and does not run stable at stock clocks.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Might be a bit off topic, but if you're trying to view the difference between 60 fps and 200 fps on a 60Hz monitor, then It's only logical that you're not seeing a difference since you need a 120+Hz monitor to be able to see in that in the first place.

Apr 28, 2018
Thanks for all of the advice from eveyrbody, Ill just stick to the 6300 based on all the input and hand this down to my brother when i make my Ryzen build. It still holds above 60fps so he should be fine for another year. If anybody could though, explain why the Ryzen chips are better? I was never sure about this because i always thought that the more GHZ you had the better the game would preform and the more cores you had the better,

Apr 28, 2018

Ive played on higher refresh rates to and just personally never saw a difrence in most games, Idk though might just be me. kind of like how most people swear by 4K but 4K actually makes me sick, like it hurts my head to look at for to long.

While the FX series had more cores, each core performance was very poor and the overall architecture quite poor as well. Ryzen had a much better Single Core Performance than FX, and is quite close to Intel's SCP. Match this with the 8 cores they have for Ryzen 7 and 6 for Ryzen 5, and you have a pretty powerful chip.

Solution