Recommendations for ATA controller

I need a PCI ATA controller for a couple systems with extra drives.
Any recommendations for brands with reliable hardware and drivers?

Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
> I need a PCI ATA controller for a couple systems with extra drives.
> Any recommendations for brands with reliable hardware and drivers?

I made good experiences with Promise 100tx2 and 133tx2 under
Linux. Some people here had problems with them under Windows and/or
with CD drives.

Arno

On 14 Jul 2005 22:05:33 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
>> I need a PCI ATA controller for a couple systems with extra drives.
>> Any recommendations for brands with reliable hardware and drivers?
>
>I made good experiences with Promise 100tx2 and 133tx2 under
>Linux. Some people here had problems with them under Windows and/or
>with CD drives.

Yes, I've had a few problems with Promise controllers under XP. I
don't know what the alternatives are though. Apparently going with
Adaptec's controller would be jumping out of the proverbial frying
pan.

Hard to believe there aren't any other well known ATA controllers.
Seems like there's only Promise or some generic with a Silicon Image
chipset.

Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
> On 14 Jul 2005 22:05:33 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>>Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
>>> I need a PCI ATA controller for a couple systems with extra drives.
>>> Any recommendations for brands with reliable hardware and drivers?
>>
>>I made good experiences with Promise 100tx2 and 133tx2 under
>>Linux. Some people here had problems with them under Windows and/or
>>with CD drives.

> Yes, I've had a few problems with Promise controllers under XP. I
> don't know what the alternatives are though. Apparently going with
> Adaptec's controller would be jumping out of the proverbial frying
> pan.

> Hard to believe there aren't any other well known ATA controllers.
> Seems like there's only Promise or some generic with a Silicon Image
> chipset.

Well, the problem is that most users are perfectly happy with
the chipset-integrated controllers. So this is not a large
market. I think Silicon Image is actually the only real other
option. Myeve an SATA controller and IDE->ATA dongles, but
my experience with them is so-so.

Arno

"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:hvoed1dni4rrdhnbmdl2e6ug0bgmr9qo3d@4ax.com
> On 14 Jul 2005 22:05:33 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
> > > I need a PCI ATA controller for a couple systems with extra drives.
> > > Any recommendations for brands with reliable hardware and drivers?
> >
> > I made good experiences with Promise 100tx2 and 133tx2 under
> > Linux. Some people here had problems with them under Windows and/or
> > with CD drives.
>
> Yes, I've had a few problems with Promise controllers under XP. I
> don't know what the alternatives are though.

> Apparently going with
> Adaptec's controller would be jumping out of the proverbial frying pan.

Whatever that means.

> Hard to believe there aren't any other well known ATA controllers.

There are. Ever heard of Google?

> Seems like there's only Promise or some generic with a Silicon Image
> chipset.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:33:40 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:hvoed1dni4rrdhnbmdl2e6ug0bgmr9qo3d@4ax.com
>> On 14 Jul 2005 22:05:33 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I've had a few problems with Promise controllers under XP. I
>> don't know what the alternatives are though.
>
>> Apparently going with
>> Adaptec's controller would be jumping out of the proverbial frying pan.
>
>Whatever that means.

It's an adage. "Jumping out of the frying pan into the fire" means
going from bad to worse.

>> Hard to believe there aren't any other well known ATA controllers.
>
>There are. Ever heard of Google?

What's Google?

Seriously, what search keys would you use to narrow down the thousands
of hits? Google for newsgroups will turn up the most recent posting,
so if you were to post something in this thread, I could probably find
it. <g>

>> Seems like there's only Promise or some generic with a Silicon Image
>> chipset.

Here's a search for ("ata controller" -serial -promise -raid -sata)
http://tinyurl.com/88w39

Still 13000 hits, mostly Sil0680 chipset (like the Adaptec, SIIG),
Intel motherbd chips, config guides, etc.

Did you have something in mind regarding a mainstream alternative to
Promise or Silicon Image?

"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:hitfd114jhh73123oqansroigu5flhpprt@4ax.com
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:33:40 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
> > "_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:hvoed1dni4rrdhnbmdl2e6ug0bgmr9qo3d@4ax.com
> > > On 14 Jul 2005 22:05:33 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I've had a few problems with Promise controllers under XP. I
> > > don't know what the alternatives are though.
> >
> > > Apparently going with
> > > Adaptec's controller would be jumping out of the proverbial frying pan.
> >
> > Whatever that means.
>
> It's an adage. "Jumping out of the frying pan into the fire" means
> going from bad to worse.
>
> > > Hard to believe there aren't any other well known ATA controllers.
> >
> > There are. Ever heard of Google?
>
> What's Google?
>
> Seriously, what search keys would you use to narrow down the thousands
> of hits?

How about just your question/comment: "+well +known +ATA +controllers"

> Google for newsgroups will turn up the most recent posting,
> so if you were to post something in this thread, I could probably find it. <g>
>
> > > Seems like there's only Promise or some generic with a Silicon Image
> > > chipset.
>
> Here's a search for ("ata controller" -serial -promise -raid -sata)
> http://tinyurl.com/88w39
>
> Still 13000 hits,

So what, where does it say you have to read them all?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-43,GGLD:en&q=%2Bwell+%2Bknown+%2BATA+%2Bcontrollers
gives both HighPoint and 3ware already on the first page.

> mostly Sil0680 chipset (like the Adaptec, SIIG),
> Intel motherbd chips, config guides, etc.
>
> Did you have something in mind regarding a mainstream alternative to
> Promise or Silicon Image?

HighPoint obviously.

_R wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:33:40 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
> <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
>
> >"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:hvoed1dni4rrdhnbmdl2e6ug0bgmr9qo3d@4ax.com
> >> On 14 Jul 2005 22:05:33 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, I've had a few problems with Promise controllers under XP. I
> >> don't know what the alternatives are though.
> >
> >> Apparently going with
> >> Adaptec's controller would be jumping out of the proverbial frying pan.
> >
> >Whatever that means.
>
> It's an adage. "Jumping out of the frying pan into the fire" means
> going from bad to worse.
>
> >> Hard to believe there aren't any other well known ATA controllers.
> >
> >There are. Ever heard of Google?
>
> What's Google?
>
> Seriously, what search keys would you use to narrow down the thousands
> of hits? Google for newsgroups will turn up the most recent posting,
> so if you were to post something in this thread, I could probably find
> it. <g>
>
> >> Seems like there's only Promise or some generic with a Silicon Image
> >> chipset.
>
> Here's a search for ("ata controller" -serial -promise -raid -sata)
> http://tinyurl.com/88w39
>
> Still 13000 hits, mostly Sil0680 chipset (like the Adaptec, SIIG),
> Intel motherbd chips, config guides, etc.
>
> Did you have something in mind regarding a mainstream alternative to
> Promise or Silicon Image?

Adaptec is well-known and fairly reliable. Driver support is very good.

However, Adaptec's performance (especially with SCSI) is not entirely
stimulating.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

"Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42D85E7A.3E309F31@hotmail.com...

> > Did you have something in mind regarding a mainstream alternative to
> > Promise or Silicon Image?
>
> Adaptec is well-known and fairly reliable. Driver support is very good.

Only for SCSI, non-RAID.

> However, Adaptec's performance (especially with SCSI) is not entirely
> stimulating.

Clueless drivel.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:33:38 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:hitfd114jhh73123oqansroigu5flhpprt@4ax.com

>> Here's a search for ("ata controller" -serial -promise -raid -sata)
>> http://tinyurl.com/88w39
>>
>> Still 13000 hits,
>
>So what, where does it say you have to read them all?
>
>http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-43,GGLD:en&q=%2Bwell+%2Bknown+%2BATA+%2Bcontrollers
>
>gives both HighPoint and 3ware already on the first page.

3Ware doesn't make a straight ATA controller. I wish they did. It's
tempting to get a 7000-series board and use it in JBOD, but that's
another $250 or so per box.

<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:hitfd114jhh73123oqansroigu5flhpprt@4ax.com

>> Here's a search for ("ata controller" -serial -promise -raid -sata)
>> http://tinyurl.com/88w39
>>
>> Still 13000 hits,
>
>So what, where does it say you have to read them all?
>
>http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-43,GGLD:en&q=%2Bwell+%2Bknown+%2BATA+%2Bcontrollers
>
>gives both HighPoint and 3ware already on the first page.

3Ware doesn't make a straight ATA controller. I wish they did. It's
tempting to get a 7000-series board and use it in JBOD, but that's
another $250 or so per box.

Highpoint's rep for Raid is mixed, but they do seem to have an ATA
controller. I've never seen one, so maybe it's more common on the
West coast.

>> Did you have something in mind regarding a mainstream alternative to
>> Promise or Silicon Image?
>
>HighPoint obviously.

Have you actually used a Highpoint ATA controller with no problems?
Has anyone here used one? I'd like to continue buying one of
everything just to try them out, but it's time-consuming. In
Highpoint's case, their drivers and BIOS haven't been updated since
2002 and it doesn't seem likely that they'll be writing Win2K3 drivers
for anything.

Since my post I've had a chance to check the Adaptec Ash-1233
controllers more thoroughly. They have problems--either BIOS or
driver, and I doubt that they'll be fixed.

I had to drop back to the Promise controllers. At least they're a
known quantity. Drivers are a bit more up to date than most others.
Hardware and BIOS, while buggy, are not as bad as Adaptec.

So...If no one knows of more modern, solid alternatives I suppose I
have to stay with Promise.

I'm still tempted to snag a Highpoint just to see what it will do, but
I have no idea what to expect from it.

"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:vf4sd1llce8lkt20ee8uq1i6dgb7ejb6cn@4ax.com
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:33:38 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
>
> > "_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:hitfd114jhh73123oqansroigu5flhpprt@4ax.com
>
> > > Here's a search for ("ata controller" -serial -promise -raid -sata)
> > > http://tinyurl.com/88w39
> > >
> > > Still 13000 hits,
> >
> > So what, where does it say you have to read them all?
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-43,GGLD:en&q=%2Bwell+%2Bknown+%2BATA+%2Bcontrollers
> >
> > gives both HighPoint and 3ware already on the first page.
>
> 3Ware doesn't make a straight ATA controller. I wish they did. It's
> tempting to get a 7000-series board and use it in JBOD, but that's
> another $250 or so per box.
>
> Highpoint's rep for Raid is mixed, but they do seem to have an ATA controller.
> I've never seen one, so maybe it's more common on the West coast.
>
> > > Did you have something in mind regarding a mainstream alternative to
> > > Promise or Silicon Image?
> >
> > HighPoint obviously.
>
> Have you actually used a Highpoint ATA controller with no problems?
> Has anyone here used one? I'd like to continue buying one of
> everything just to try them out, but it's time-consuming.

> In Highpoint's case, their drivers and BIOS haven't been updated since 2002

Which may be a positive: no bugs to be taken care of.

> and it doesn't seem likely that they'll be writing Win2K3 drivers for anything.

And that's a problem how?

> Since my post I've had a chance to check the Adaptec Ash-1233
> controllers more thoroughly. They have problems--either BIOS or
> driver, and I doubt that they'll be fixed.
>
> I had to drop back to the Promise controllers. At least they're a
> known quantity. Drivers are a bit more up to date than most others.

Define 'up to date'.

> Hardware and BIOS, while buggy,

Sofar for being 'up to date'.

> are not as bad as Adaptec.
>
> So...If no one knows of more modern, solid alternatives I suppose I
> have to stay with Promise.
>
> I'm still tempted to snag a Highpoint just to see what it will do, but
> I have no idea what to expect from it.

HighPoint were the only one that offered Queueing support for IBM drives.
HighPoint bioses have a setup utility for bootorder.
In my book that earns them just that little bit more trust.
What I find disappointing though is that they apparently still do not support ATAPI.