Question Recommendations for extreme cooling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
D

Deleted member 2783327

Over the last few years I've gone through a dozen Corsair Coolers, mostly H115i's that keep failing. Also, they don't cope in the Aussie summer. With ambient temps over 30c the cooler is pretty much ineffective with coolant temps hitting 40c and fans spinning at 100% as CPU temps sky rocket.

I have few needs. (1). I don't care about RGB only performance. (2). I want to be able to tweak fan curves and view temps and speeds from within Windows. (3). Any software should not be bloatware riddled with telemetry that thrashes my SSD/HDD and needs 900Mb to install (CAM/iCue, I'm looking at you!)

Fan connectors should be standard 4 pin PWM.

I'm suspecting it's time to venture into custom loops?

I've read reviews for many coolers, many of which contradict each other (Like one review will say cooler A is awesome while another review will say cooler A is the bottom on the barrel). Kinda makes it hard to know who to trust and which cooler to buy.

I'm looking at cooling two HEDT systems, mildly over clocked. One is a Thermaltake W100 case. Lot's of Room. The other is a Fractal Design 7 XL. The W100 has 11 case fans. The FD7 has 4.

I'm pretty much 100% against NZXT. The cooler may be good but Cam is a disaster. I believe you can't even run CAM now unless it can go online, which I won't allow.

I can put a 360mm in the W100, maybe even a 420mm.

But realistically, what's the best delta I can expect? If the ambient is 30c am I just expecting too much to have a 4c delta? And when the ambient hits 35c or higher is the cooler going to cool at all? Like, if the coolant is at 40c (eg), then I'll probably have fans running at 100%... Does that leave the cooler with nowhere to go... no ability to cool?

I've been struggling with this for years trying to keep my PCs cool over summer. I've even backed off OC's to help.

Would appreciate some advice. If you recommend something, price is low on my priority list. Performance is top.

D

Deleted member 2783327

Ok, updated parts list? Am I there yet?

EKPCCGJP CompAmazon AU
EK Coolstream CE 420x45x140 radiator $ 189.00 In Stock
EK Loop Pump mounting bracket $ 15.00 In Stock
EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 205ml plexi D5 $ 269.00 In Stock
EK Soft tubing 3m 7/16ID Duraclear $ 32.00 In Stock
EK soft tube cutter $ 11.00 In Stock
EK Quantum torque 6-pack titanium 10/13 $ 79.00 In Stock
EK-AF Angled 90 degree nickel x 4 $ 44.00 In Stock
EK Cryofuel Clear 100ml concetrate $ 15.00 In Stock
EK Classic water block 115x/20xx D-RGB $ 109.00Dec-18
EK Vector Trio RTX 2080 Ti backplate $ 55.00 In Stock
EK Quantum Vector Trio 2080 Ti water block $ - Dec-16 $ 220.50
140mm fans x1 (already have 2) Noctua $ 59.00 In Stock
ATX 24 pin bridge connector $ 4.00 In Stock
Distilled water 2L $ 2.00 In Stock
Shipping $ 21.00 In Stock $ - $ 7.12
EK-ATX Bridging Plug $ 4.00 In Stock
EK AF Y-Splitter for temp sensor $ 15.00 In Stock
Barrow temperature sensor G1/4 - blackDec-16 $ 24.00
Subtotal $ 923.00 $ 220.50 $ 31.12
Grand total $ 1,174.62

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You might need additional fittings as you will need 2 for each component: pump, CPU block, GPU block, radiator.

Also, your fittings are for 10/13 (3/8" ID/1/2" OD) but the tubing you have 12/16 (7/16" ID/ 5/8" OD) tubing listed. You will want to make sure that your tubing inside diameter (ID) and outside diameter (OD) matches between your tubing size and fitting size. Otherwise, if the tubing is not matched appropriately, it will not seal and fit well and can cause leaking if the compression ring cannot secure the tubing.

Looks like you have some 90 degree angled fittings, which is fine, but you'll need to install compression fittings on those if needing to connect tubing.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
One Question :

What is the point of paying $1000 for water cooling while still having RTX 2080 ti ?

GET RTX 3080/3090 for that money first . any FPS you will gain from that expensive watercooling is nothing if you leave better hardware behind ...

Air cooled gaming machine with RTX 3080/3090 is ALOT faster than all your huge water cooled PC project with RTX 2080 ti ...

Sell your RTX 2080 ti , Get RTX 3090/3080 and after that spend on watercooling.

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I disagree - what is a 2080Ti not going to be able to do that requires a 3080?

I wouldn't even think of buying a 3000 series card right now, and likely not for 2 more quarters - so I actually have been telling people NOT to buy a graphics card right now, at all, let alone a 3080 or 90.. What's the point other than paying for they hype?

Also, your concept of 'worth it' is likely very different than my idea of 'worth it', so let's keep that in perspective when trying to explain to someone they should consider one thing over another thing.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Yes for fittings figure in the head 8 total? 2 cpu, 2 gpu, 2 radiator and 2 pump? Can't recall name of ek 90 degrees fittings i buy but wow they wre nice. So you may want to check but my psu and mobo both come with psu bridge. Agains maybe give a thought to pressure tester up to you. So you definite want the soft tube no hard tube?

Delta will vary here 22c ambients 41c idle so 19 delta I guess. Have been told 10-13c detal to be expected but I never seem to come close to clamied performances. Have feeling its just too optimistic.

Last edited:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I disagree - what is a 2080Ti not going to be able to do that requires a 3080?

I wouldn't even think of buying a 3000 series card right now, and likely not for 2 more quarters - so I actually have been telling people NOT to buy a graphics card right now, at all, let alone a 3080 or 90.. What's the point other than paying for they hype?

Also, your concept of 'worth it' is likely very different than my idea of 'worth it', so let's keep that in perspective when trying to explain to someone they should consider one thing over another thing.

It is not 2080 Ti vs 3080/3090 here .. it is water cooling VS 3080 ...

Why do we water cool ? to overclock and get more fps .

if the water cooling fps gain is less than getting a new card , then you are wasting your money.

got the point ?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You don't HAVE to overclock if you watercool - there isn't a law that states this, but it does allow greater possibility.

I watercool my CPU and GPU. I currently do not overclock. I do it because I really enjoy the hobby.

I still think your point isn't valid to everyone. I don't care about 10 more FPS. At. All. Even 20. When you already possess the capacity to run at 200 FPS, 220 makes such little difference for the price premium it requires. And quite honestly, not everything is simply about raw FPS in graphics cards.

For some, it is about temperatures, plain and simple. This does not make it a 'wrong' choice simply because you disagree.

Reactions: dotas1 and Phaaze88

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm pretty sure this is where you made it apparent:

What is the point of paying $1000 for water cooling while still having RTX 2080 ti ?

GET RTX 3080/3090 for that money first . any FPS you will gain from that expensive watercooling is nothing if you leave better hardware behind ...

I don't really think this is your decision to make, yet you are urging them to make the same choice you would? This is the exact pivot point I'm defending.

Reactions: Phaaze88

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Had delta 15c this morning when wakes up. Nothing write a home about. With eyes opened I see there not whole bunches headroom to OC. But with a water cool its keeps parts cool and it has been fun to do. Oddly enough I enjoyed bending PETG wishes I could do more. Maybe I get my chances if buy 2nd radiator. Bought lots of tubing so no worries. Parts are high quality. Enjoy the EK parts nt sure why people seem to like to dump on them some reasons I dunno. Is water cool in OPs budget I dunno up to them. 2080ti owner I am thinking they want to build have fun and enjoy hope they do too :)

Last edited:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I don't really think this is your decision to make, yet you are urging them to make the same choice you would? This is the exact pivot point I'm defending.

What decision to make ? I Just gave him my opinion and I am free to tell other people my Opinion on the matter . the Decision is the OP Decision.

You dont like my opinion it is fine by me . but dont make it look like I am forcing my opinion on others . this is not true.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
That's fine, but don't go around saying things like this:

GET RTX 3080/3090 for that money first

This is isn't providing an opinion - this is pushing an agenda that might not align with OP's wants and needs.

This entire thread has been about answering questions asked by the OP - not once have they mentioned a GPU upgrade of any kind - let alone a GPU which is very difficult to find in-stock to purchase and at a decent price.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
That's fine, but don't go around saying things like this:

This is isn't providing an opinion - this is pushing an agenda that might not align with OP's wants and needs.

This entire thread has been about answering questions asked by the OP - not once have they mentioned a GPU upgrade of any kind - let alone a GPU which is very difficult to find in-stock to purchase and at a decent price.

Agenda ? lol
What for ? what I get from it ?

chill out dude ... I just said what I think is best.

see ya

D

Deleted member 2783327

OMG. Things seem to have gotten a little frisky here :)

I respect your opinion, but we don't see things the same.

The term FPS is not particularly relevant to me (if you're referring to games). This is not so much about gaming as it is about rendering, encoding, authoring and so on. Sure, I play some games to relieve increase stress, but that's not my main goal. The problem is we have very hot summers in a house that has ZERO cooling and faces east/west. In Summer it's not uncommon for the temps inside to reach 48C/118F. It takes almost a week to cool the place when temps outside drop. Yes, I understand that ambient temps affect system/coolant temps.

Given I'm renting I can't install an air conditioner, which might be the more appropriate solution, and the landlord is a real %^%@^$#% He refuses to add air conditioning.

Every time I mention the insane pricing here in Australia I get verbally bashed and told I'm smoking something nefarious. Fact: Australian prices are insane.

Personally, I think the RTX 2080 Ti is a damn good card. Also, I am not a person who has to have the "Latest bleeding edge tech". Launch prices are higher, availability is poor, and there are always issues to be sorted.

I have no intentions of investing in RTX 30 series cards. There are no games here that "need" them, especially at the absurd prices being charged, and the fact that they're as rare as hen's teeth. Same goes for my video work. While there are performance increases, I do not believe the high costs are worth the performance increases I am going to get.

Do the RTX 30 series cards run hotter? If they do, that'd be another reason to stay away.

Having my RTX 2080 Ti, or even better, and my CPU at 45C under load would be awesome :)

Back on topic: There is an extremely limited selection of parts here. The number of retailers that stock such parts is even less.

I can't get all parts from one supplier, at least not locally. Shipping is going to cost me hundreds of dollars, even more if I go overseas as I would then have to pay import duties on top. It seems as though I'm going to have to go out of country to get the parts. I'm now weighing whether that's worth it or not.

As a final point here, there is one other motivator here: I've never done custom loops before. And, tbh, I'm somewhat terrified of killing my system, but if I don't try I will never learn. This is as much an educational exercise as it is a solution (or mitigation), to my temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phaaze88
D

Deleted member 2783327

So you definite want the soft tube no hard tube?

I know hard would probably look nicer, but I don't have the confidence that I would get it right.

Plus, it's going to add more to the cost, and that's already a lot as it is. (The bending tools, heat gun, inner tube, reamer and so on).

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
OMG. Things seem to have gotten a little frisky here :)

I respect your opinion, but we don't see things the same.

The term FPS is not particularly relevant to me (if you're referring to games). This is not so much about gaming as it is about rendering, encoding, authoring and so on. Sure, I play some games to relieve increase stress, but that's not my main goal. The problem is we have very hot summers in a house that has ZERO cooling and faces east/west. In Summer it's not uncommon for the temps inside to reach 48C/118F. It takes almost a week to cool the place when temps outside drop. Yes, I understand that ambient temps affect system/coolant temps.

Given I'm renting I can't install an air conditioner, which might be the more appropriate solution, and the landlord is a real %^%@^$#% He refuses to add air conditioning.

Every time I mention the insane pricing here in Australia I get verbally bashed and told I'm smoking something nefarious. Fact: Australian prices are insane.

Personally, I think the RTX 2080 Ti is a damn good card. Also, I am not a person who has to have the "Latest bleeding edge tech". Launch prices are higher, availability is poor, and there are always issues to be sorted.

I have no intentions of investing in RTX 30 series cards. There are no games here that "need" them, especially at the absurd prices being charged, and the fact that they're as rare as hen's teeth. Same goes for my video work. While there are performance increases, I do not believe the high costs are worth the performance increases I am going to get.

Do the RTX 30 series cards run hotter? If they do, that'd be another reason to stay away.

Having my RTX 2080 Ti, or even better, and my CPU at 45C under load would be awesome :)

Back on topic: There is an extremely limited selection of parts here. The number of retailers that stock such parts is even less.

I can't get all parts from one supplier, at least not locally. Shipping is going to cost me hundreds of dollars, even more if I go overseas as I would then have to pay import duties on top. It seems as though I'm going to have to go out of country to get the parts. I'm now weighing whether that's worth it or not.

As a final point here, there is one other motivator here: I've never done custom loops before. And, tbh, I'm somewhat terrified of killing my system, but if I don't try I will never learn. This is as much an educational exercise as it is a solution (or mitigation), to my temps.

You are angry you cant get air conditioner and refusing to get the chiller I put earlier ?

Consider it . water chiller can keep the water at like 10c all the time , it is not a radiator inside , it is like AC.

you can order it directly from them , I think they will send it to your location.

D

Deleted member 2783327

You are angry you cant get air conditioner and refusing to get the chiller I put earlier ?

I wouldn't say I'm angry. The landlord is definately an unpleasant person, but it is what it is. Anger is wasted.

Nor did I refuse to get the chiller you suggested. It comes down to ergonomics and cost. I did appreciate your suggestion, and I have not thrown it away. At the moment I'm considering several options. I have book marked the page you linked and have even looked around at other chillers. As I said, it's not off the table.

I'm also very aware of electricity costs. I'm trying to factor everything in and it's not as simple as just saying "Do this or do that".

I know it may look like I'm just willing to throw thousands at this, but I'm not. And part of it may be cultural. The setup might cost you $600 - $700 USD, so you look at the price I quote and go "Wow that's nuts", but often forget to factor in the fact that the USD to AUD and other costs are at play. As a general rule I would suggest halving the costs I post and them make a judgement.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've custom watercooled for 19 years - I'll continue to do it as long as it interests me....and each day, I see new things and great builds to inspire ideas.

It isn't the most practical for everyone, nor the cheapest, but you get out of it what you decide to put into it.

Reactions: HappyTrails

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
I've custom watercooled for 19 years - I'll continue to do it as long as it interests me....and each day, I see new things and great builds to inspire ideas.

It isn't the most practical for everyone, nor the cheapest, but you get out of it what you decide to put into it.

Never have any watercooling or rgb. Has been very rewarding and glad I get this out of my system. In for the penny in for the pound :)

D

Deleted member 2783327

Just an update; I had to put this on hold for a few reasons. My washing machine died and I think that has to be higher priority. Also, I can't find all the parts I need in one place. Many retailers rely solely on Australia Post which has a terrible track record of lost and damaged deliveries, as well as extremely long delivery times. Given the time of year I've decided to push this back to Feb 2021 when things hopefully have settled a little.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Let us know if we can help once you've got back to where you are ready to begin thinking of this once again.

If you know someone outside of Australia, it might also be possible to have them purchase all needed parts on your behalf and ship to you and exchange payment for price of parts+shipping. Just another option which could save some money and you could piece out your build accordingly.