Build Advice Recommendations for hardware upgrades ?

Munishwar

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2015
Here's my PC Specs:

Intel i5 7400 @ 3.0Ghz
Gigabyte B250M-D3H-CF
DDR4 8 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti 4GB DDR5
SSD 240GB Kingston
1 TB HDD
500GB HDD
Coolermaster Stryker Full Tower Cabinet

With these specs I was able to run almost every game but at a very low setting! But now I see lags in my games and want to upgrade but I'm confused with which processor I should go with?

Please suggest me a good processor + MOBO and Graphic card keeping in mind its a budget build?

Specify the budget in your currency.

Name 2 or 3 possible locations for you to buy the parts.

You say "Please suggest me a good processor + MOBO and Graphic card".........do you mean you need ONLY those 3 parts? If not, name the other parts that must be purchased within the budget.

Reactions: Munishwar

Munishwar

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2015
Specify the budget in your currency.

Name 2 or 3 possible locations for you to buy the parts.

You say "Please suggest me a good processor + MOBO and Graphic card".........do you mean you need ONLY those 3 parts? If not, name the other parts that must be purchased within the budget.

Sorry, I forgot to specify my budget!

Budget: 30,000-40,000 INR
Place to buy: Nehru Place (Delhi)

I'm hoping that the SSD and HDD can be used with the new hardware. So please suggest Processor (Intel), MOBO, Graphic Card (Nvidia) and RAM module.

Sorry, I forgot to specify my budget!

Budget: 30,000-40,000 INR
Place to buy: Nehru Place (Delhi)

I'm hoping that the SSD and HDD can be used with the new hardware. So please suggest Processor (Intel), MOBO, Graphic Card (Nvidia) and RAM module.
Why do you not want AMD? The Ryzen 5 5600, a cheap B550 motherboard and DDR4 RAM is hard to beat in price to performance, and Nvidia doesn't compete with AMD on price unless you really want raytracing.

Munishwar

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2015
Why do you not want AMD? The Ryzen 5 5600, a cheap B550 motherboard and DDR4 RAM is hard to beat in price to performance, and Nvidia doesn't compete with AMD on price unless you really want raytracing.

I tried AMD a while back, guess it was FX8320 and boy it had heating issues!!! Although the system didn't crash but the heating was an issue. Since then I could never trust AMD.

I tried AMD a while back, guess it was FX8320 and boy it had heating issues!!! Although the system didn't crash but the heating was an issue. Since then I could never trust AMD.
You haven't kept up with what's been happening, have you? Intel now produces the hottest running CPUs, not AMD. The 5600 is easily cooled by the included box cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for the suggestion. I'd like to know if a 3.0 Ghz processor would be good or a 2.50 Ghz processor? Also, does the MOBO has slots for RGB (or ARGB) Header?

Please suggest a GPU too.

Those are the base clocks, you are not likely to see those in practice. CPUs will typically boost well above 4Ghz. Only if you stressed the CPU for long periods with inadequate cooling are you likely to see the base clock come up.

Munishwar

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2015
Those are the base clocks, you are not likely to see those in practice. CPUs will typically boost well above 4Ghz. Only if you stressed the CPU for long periods with inadequate cooling are you likely to see the base clock come up.

So if I run a game for 1-2 hrs it won't affect the performance?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you buddy, but I need an Nvidia Card. Also, this card costs around 30k and that's my total budget for upgrade. (CPU+MOBO+RAM+ GPU)
Well, then you likely can't afford an RTX 3050.

GTX1650 wouldn't be much of an upgrade. 1660 and 1660 Super are going to be in the same rough price as the RTX 3050. RTX 2060 is likely way too expensive.

Not sure you have enough for a useful GPU upgrade. The low end GPUs have basically disappeared in favor of onboard graphics, and you don't want AMD, so the leaves out any of their APUs (though your 1050 Ti is about the same performance anyway)

Maybe scrap the idea altogether and pick up a used i7-7700 and a 2x8GB memory kit for your current board, buy some additional storage? 1TB SSDs aren't too bad.

Munishwar

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2015
Well, then you likely can't afford an RTX 3050.

GTX1650 wouldn't be much of an upgrade. 1660 and 1660 Super are going to be in the same rough price as the RTX 3050. RTX 2060 is likely way too expensive.

Not sure you have enough for a useful GPU upgrade. The low end GPUs have basically disappeared in favor of onboard graphics, and you don't want AMD, so the leaves out any of their APUs (though your 1050 Ti is about the same performance anyway)

Maybe scrap the idea altogether and pick up a used i7-7700 and a 2x8GB memory kit for your current board, buy some additional storage? 1TB SSDs aren't too bad.

How much should I stretch my budget so as to get a GPU that can run games for coming 5 years (atleast) along with Processor+MOBO+RAM+ Cooler (if needed)?
As for the SSDs, I can upgrade them when I've some extra cash.

Munishwar

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2015
Galax 1660 6GB or INNO3D GTX 1660 Twin X2 good performers or I should stick with ASUS, Gigabyte. MSI and Zotac variants?
(For gaming and video editing purposes only.)

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@Munishwar

8 GB ram is too small for gaming. Even for some ps4 games, that will lag. Better to have at least 16 gb ram.

I suggest saving money, and then get an RTX 3050 or RTX 3060. The power supply might need to be upgraded as well, if you're gonna get these.

Munishwar

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2015
@Munishwar

8 GB ram is too small for gaming. Even for some ps4 games, that will lag. Better to have at least 16 gb ram.

I suggest saving money, and then get an RTX 3050 or RTX 3060. The power supply might need to be upgraded as well, if you're gonna get these.

No matter how much I save, I can only spend 40K max!

Munishwar

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2015
@Why_Me @Eximo

i5 13400F
Gigabyte (DDR5 supporting) M760-MDS3H
16GB RAM DDR5 5200mhz
WD Blue 500GB NVME
Nvidia Gigabyte RTX 2060 Graphic Card

I'm stretching my budget to its limits and found the above at the best possible prices. Is this a good configuration? Also, do I need to upgrade my PSU (Cooler Master 500watts) for RTX 2060?

Reactions: Why_Me
@Why_Me @Eximo

i5 13400F
Gigabyte (DDR5 supporting) M760-MDS3H
16GB RAM DDR5 5200mhz
WD Blue 500GB NVME
Nvidia Gigabyte RTX 2060 Graphic Card

I'm stretching my budget to its limits and found the above at the best possible prices. Is this a good configuration? Also, do I need to upgrade my PSU (Cooler Master 500watts) for RTX 2060?
Tough call on the psu. That card calls for a 550w psu.

Munishwar

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2015
Tough call on the psu. That card calls for a 550w psu.
Any suggestions? I spoke to a computer engineer and he said that a branded power supply can support this card.

Also, any suggestion how much would I get for my old system configuration if I sell it to someone online?