Recommendations for Headsets?

BoldStep

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Hi, my current headset will not last much longer and I am currently researching on what kind I should get, mainly gamer orientated. A birthday budget I was given is $300 AU max (which is around $200 USD) but I'm not keen on reaching that limit since that budget is rather overkill. Really I'd like something that is great value while not being too cheap or too expensive. On a side note 7.1 surround sound would be nice but its not really at the top of what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

I'm using a budget DIY headset using a Samson SR850 and a lapel clip mic IMHO sounds far better than any headset in the sub $100 range (considering that I paid $40 total, even bests my son's HyperX Revolver which cost $120).

Since they are a semi-open back that gives the "around your head" type of sound depth, which helps surround modes sound more realistic. Not much of an option if you are in a noisy environment, closed back will have more isolation at the expense of sound stage.

There are a lot of ways to get virtual surround:

- your application or game itself may provide a virtual surround driver in the audio output options, some say "headphone", "surround", "5.1", best check your game or application sound manual or online-guide to confirm.

- your on-board realtek sound card may have a virtual surround option in the speaker configuration, YMMV not all cards have this option.

- Windows 10's Sonic spatial sound option is a freebie from MS (and sounds pretty good IMHO)

- 3rd party apps like Razer Surround can provide pretty good surround sound, even in the free version - the paid version unlocks some of the options.

- add-on cards may have surround support, I am using a Sound Blaster Play!3 and the SBX surround IMHO sounds a bit better and the software gives you a lot of options to adjust to your liking, was a cheap upgrade from my on-board sound.

EDIT - so looking at AU sites, these may work:

PreSonus HD7 or the AKG 52 for the headphone

perhaps a Lapel mic or an upgrade to a podcast-quality mic like the Blue Snowball ICE or the Samson Go (which sits on your monitor, very cool)