[SOLVED] Recommendations for installing Access Point at the cottage.

bat123man

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Hi,

My sister had high-speed wireless internet (via radio waves) installed at the cottage. The provider attached a dish to a tree which points at their tower across the lake. It provides 10 Mb service, which seems to work pretty well. The problem is that she had it installed in what we call the "bunky", the little cabin which used to be a boathouse. It's about 20 meters (60 ft) from the cottage. She added a D-Link DIR3040 as the router/access point which provides very strong internet to the bunky and most of the area around it. Service in the cottage itself drops to 1 bar.

What is the best way to get internet to the cottage? I was going to run outdoor cat6 through the trees, and then attach it to some high point on the cottage, then run it down the exterior walls and in through a wall. Eventually I would install an Ethernet port on the wall beside a plug, and then plug in an Access Point. I know that will work. My father is concerned about an unsightly cable running from one building to the other. The bunky has both water and electricity, they are in underground cables which run from the main cottage. I could run ethernet through the same conduit, but am concerned proximity to the power line will ruin the signal. I looked into Unifi outdoor offerings, they claim a range of up to 600 ft. I could install that onto the outside of the bunky then it would be an easy ethernet run to it by simply making a hole in the bunky wall. There are trees between the bunky and the cottage, but they are relatively sparse. However, apart from the fact that most of their products seem to be sold out on their site, that is likely overkill since I can only get 10 Mb from the provider anyway.

Looking for any other ideas, thanks.

Solution
Hi,

My sister had high-speed wireless internet (via radio waves) installed at the cottage. The provider attached a dish to a tree which points at their tower across the lake. It provides 10 Mb service, which seems to work pretty well. The problem is that she had it installed in what we call the "bunky", the little cabin which used to be a boathouse. It's about 20 meters (60 ft) from the cottage. She added a D-Link DIR3040 as the router/access point which provides very strong internet to the bunky and most of the area around it. Service in the cottage itself drops to 1 bar.

What is the best way to get internet to the cottage? I was going to run outdoor cat6 through the trees, and then attach it to some high point on the...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

What is the best way to get internet to the cottage? I was going to run outdoor cat6 through the trees, and then attach it to some high point on the cottage, then run it down the exterior walls and in through a wall. Eventually I would install an Ethernet port on the wall beside a plug, and then plug in an Access Point. I know that will work. My father is concerned about an unsightly cable running from one building to the other. The bunky has both water and electricity, they are in underground cables which run from the main cottage. I could run ethernet through the same conduit, but am concerned proximity to the power line will ruin the signal. I looked into Unifi outdoor offerings, they claim a range of up to 600 ft. I could install that onto the outside of the bunky then it would be an easy ethernet run to it by simply making a hole in the bunky wall. There are trees between the bunky and the cottage, but they are relatively sparse. However, apart from the fact that most of their products seem to be sold out on their site, that is likely overkill since I can only get 10 Mb from the provider anyway.

Looking for any other ideas, thanks.
A wire will be the best answer. A direct burial ethernet cable only needs to be 6 inches underground. A shovel can usually provide enough of a slit to bury a single ethernet cable.

Solution

bat123man

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Ah yes, as usual, I'm overthinking the solution. :).

Burying it 6 inches will be quite easy, I can stay away from the conduit path for the electrical and just come up anywhere. Ah well, glad I posted, I was trying to envision how to connect it to the arch of the roof and keep it hidden in the trees. And then worrying about tree sway during storms, etc. Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Ah yes, as usual, I'm overthinking the solution. :).

Burying it 6 inches will be quite easy, I can stay away from the conduit path for the electrical and just come up anywhere. Ah well, glad I posted, I was trying to envision how to connect it to the arch of the roof and keep it hidden in the trees. And then worrying about tree sway during storms, etc. Thanks.
Just remember "DIRECT BURIAL" cable. https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Waterproof-Ethernet-Direct-Shielded/dp/B001B6C5H8