[SOLVED] recommendations for smaller CPU air cooler

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Good morning all

I am building a new system using an x570 Aorus Master/Ryzen 7 3700x combo. I have four sticks of G-Skill Trident Z RGB memory.

Problem: my CPU cooler of choice (the CM Hyper 212 Evo RGB Black Edition) is too wide to accommodate the final stick. I don't want to install the cooler with the fan sitting higher than it should, and don't want to install the fan on the other side of the cooler as the fan is RGB and the effect will largely be lost.

Any recommendations on a good air cooler (RGB) that will fit? I would prefer to avoid the stock Wraith cooler if possible.

Thanks.

Reactions: Jimmyt2
Solution
I don't think aio are any louder. It all really depends on how much the fans are spinning. But fan noise has never really bothered me, so unless painfully loud, I won't complain.

There's quite a few 280mm setups on the market which should easily cool that CPU. Evga and corsair, as well as many others. Most aio use the same pump design, so the only real differences are in the radiator and fans.

As far as the fans go, as long as they have a good static pressure rating you could swap them on. But if they're airflow fans, you'd be better off using what comes with the cooler. There's plenty of coolers that come with decent rgb fans.
Good morning all

I am building a new system using an x570 Aorus Master/Ryzen 7 3700x combo. I have four sticks of G-Skill Trident Z RGB memory.

Problem: my CPU cooler of choice (the CM Hyper 212 Evo RGB Black Edition) is too wide to accommodate the final stick. I don't want to install the cooler with the fan sitting higher than it should, and don't want to install the fan on the other side of the cooler as the fan is RGB and the effect will largely be lost.

Any recommendations on a good air cooler (RGB) that will fit? I would prefer to avoid the stock Wraith cooler if possible.

Thanks.
Why does it have to be RGB... why not just get a good cooler.

also 4 sticks < 2

The stock ryzen cooler is on par with the 212, and has rgb if I'm not mistaken. The issue with any smaller cooler is obviously going to be performance. No sense in going aftermarket cooler for sub par results just for rgb.

Have you considered an aio? All the ram clearance you could want, and all sorts of bling options available.

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Grateful for your reply.

I have considered an AIO, yes. It would be a first watercooling effort for me (so jitters, even with a closed loop) and I am having real difficulty determining which manufacturer and model would be suitable, as there seems to be such difference of opinion in this arena. I've heard that AIOs are generally louder (?) and, of course, there is the additional consideration of possible leakage.

P.S. If I were aiming instead for an AIO, I would prefer a 280mm as I have fractal design prisma fans that I would want to swap in.

Last edited:
I don't think aio are any louder. It all really depends on how much the fans are spinning. But fan noise has never really bothered me, so unless painfully loud, I won't complain.

There's quite a few 280mm setups on the market which should easily cool that CPU. Evga and corsair, as well as many others. Most aio use the same pump design, so the only real differences are in the radiator and fans.

As far as the fans go, as long as they have a good static pressure rating you could swap them on. But if they're airflow fans, you'd be better off using what comes with the cooler. There's plenty of coolers that come with decent rgb fans.

Solution