Recommendations for Socket 2011 please (i7 3930k)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Edit:

This is my setup

4 (3 year old 1.5-2tb hdds)
256gb samsung 830 ssd (primary)
i7 sandybridge-e 3930k processor
Seasonic ss-760 PSU
Gigabyte HD 7950 9Gb

I am looking to get 8gb x 4 RAM to start with...

I would like a mobo that supports atleast 64gigs

No current plans to crossfire (Only games I play Red Alert 3 and Diablo 3)

I do some After Effects and Premiere Pro work and hence the 3930k

I saw the Asus Rampage IV and there are a lot of stuff in that that I wont use (Am not gonna oc extreme)

Any recommendations guys? Just leave a model number atleast for me to check :)

The vast majority that I do in this forum is Motherboards & Memory, 8x8GB kits are all a bear to keep stable. You have two distinct issues: first, 8xDIMM's and keeping 8 (eight) sticks running, then exceeding the CPU's 'rated' IMC or anything greater than DDR3-1600, and the biggest pain 8GB/stick density non-ECC RAM.

I would suggest first selecting a 8x8GB (64GB) kit then search 'kit_name problems' or 'kit_name errors' or etc.

As I said, in this section I see many 64GB kit issues and the vast majority are >DDR-1600 and more G.SKILL's because of the version of XMP that they employ, they all should be XMP 1.3. Remember a 4x4GB is MUCH easier to keep stable than 8x4GB and ditto 8x8GB. It's a combination of Frequency, Density and often mixing plus voltage.

Most of the 'solutions' are going to be coming from me, at least in TH forum.

Q - What kit(s) did you have in mind.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

He already decided to get 32GB board, we should really stop talking about 64GB now, it's not relevant in this thread anymore. He won't be using 8x8GB combo, only 4x8GB (or 4x4).

Aren't you just a little bit FULL OF YOURSELF here, huh?
You really believe that your opinion should be considered the only truly worthwhile listening to? You should really go visit a psychiatrist, then. Because you're a delusional egomaniac.

Based on your misguided information which is the only reason I even entered this thread is because you clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I'm not 'full of myself' but clearly you're trolling you have a problem. Search this forum and see for yourself.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

And? That's the only thing you can come up with?

1. I never tried to "troll" anyone (again, you're being absolutely delusional and full of yourself, accusing people you don't know and acting like a total jerk while implying that you know everything and about everyone).

2. I made a minor mistake in that thread and I admit that, that mistake was in that I gave the wrong link, and I'm going to fix that (upd: fixed), thanks for pointing that out.
But at least I don't go around and call people "dumb asses" just because they did a minor mistake, like you are doing right now, and that clearly shows what an inept, full of yourself, delusional egomaniac you are. The further conversation with you would serve no purpose whatsoever, and thus - I'll just ignore you from this point on.
You should really start taking pills and visiting psychiatrists, you have some very serious issues with your psychical state.