Recommendations for Socket 2011 please (i7 3930k)

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Edit:

This is my setup

4 (3 year old 1.5-2tb hdds)
256gb samsung 830 ssd (primary)
i7 sandybridge-e 3930k processor
Seasonic ss-760 PSU
Gigabyte HD 7950 9Gb

I am looking to get 8gb x 4 RAM to start with...

I would like a mobo that supports atleast 64gigs

No current plans to crossfire (Only games I play Red Alert 3 and Diablo 3)

I do some After Effects and Premiere Pro work and hence the 3930k

I saw the Asus Rampage IV and there are a lot of stuff in that that I wont use (Am not gonna oc extreme)

Any recommendations guys? Just leave a model number atleast for me to check :)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I can think only of this, and it's actually even better, but the problem might be in the form-factor, if you don't have a case that supports "SSI CEB".
Otherwise (if your case does not support the "SSI CEB", or you can't afford two 8-pin power PSUs), I highly recommend getting this, it would be a better buy than the P9 (IMHO).

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Well, since you're aiming at the "64GB support" exactly, then....no, there are no more good options left, actually.
Because everything else that's below the ones that I've recommended you (and below P9), would be a worse option.
It's pretty much the dead end, man: you either buy any of those I've recommended, or you get P9, or you get a much worse board otherwise (either overpriced "meh", or just crap). :??:

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks a lot for the reply, One last question bro The rampage IV seems to have 3 versions gene, formula and rampage... If am not gonna overclock a lot and no plans for crossfire... what would you suggest?

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
There is only one ASUS "ROG" board on a 2011 socket that supports 64GB of Memory, and that is "Rampage IV Extreme" that I've recommended you before.
"Formula" and "Gene" can do only up to 32 GB. It all really depends on the case if you REALLY need those 64GB, man. Otherwise, there are a lot more options opening up to look into.
I'm asking again: DO YOU REALLY NEED 64GB?

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
currently have 12gigs of ram at 1333 dual channel... in premiere pro the playback/rendering is not smooth, do you think 32gigs will be enough, I thought I might need 64... I would like to know your thoughts on this

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
32GB is *2.5 times more than 12GB, man. It's by itself is an overkill for almost any task.
Usually, getting more than 24GB would be just like applying a safety pillow while wearing a seat belt, nothing less or more than just that.
64GB? Are you working in Pixar/DreamWorks/CryTek/Epic/Valve/Gearbox/Bethesda?

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
<quote>Are you working in Pixar/DreamWorks/CryTek/Epic/Valve/Gearbox/Bethesda?</quote> well I had that coming I guess :)

So for 32 gigs what will be your options? Slightly off topic, the intel page for 3930k says 1600mhz as max compatible, does that mean faster wont work?

Something doesn't smell right here. I think the OP is misguided re: memory use. If he's thinking that he'll get entire animations/video sequences in RAM for playback performance, then he's barking up the wrong tree. Fast storage should be the goal there, not more ram.

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
@abekl I have upgraded my storage, the samsung 830 is on its way (delivery to india takes a few weeks)

When am exporting the video, my pc gets very unresponsive... I already use a 96 gb Kingston SSD for the after fx/premiere and os... Thats the reason I started thinking of upgrades... Not much room to ugrade on my current rig, hence started looking for new mobo + processor upgrade, settled on the 3930k (after a lot of consideration about a cheaper 3960k engineer sample)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Tom's only supports BB-code on forums, no HTML.

Just get this, and you're pretty much good to go. I highly recommend it.

The SSD will help with the responsiveness of your PC upon exporting, much more than any ram above 32GB.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Yeah, I agree on that.

That's why getting a 64 (96, 128) GB-board is almost entirely pointless these days (unless, again, you work in a big studio and are working with ultra-high quality 3D models and CGI).

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Ok thanks a lot guys, zeroing in on the rampage IV formula mobo now... priced at $440 here.. anyone know any sites that ship to India... am ready to wait out the horrible delivery times :)

Just to confirm I got the details right, the difference from the extreme is that extreme supports 4 way sli/crossfire and 64gigs a few extra ports right?

Any thoughts on sabertooth (its about $35 cheaper here)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

It also OverClocks much better, because it has better capacitors and more durable components overall.

Overpriced and over-hyped garbage, not worth looking at, really.

About where to buy: do you have a local hardware store, or a site of the nearest hardware store? Maybe you can buy there.
If not, then I highly suggest that you use e-bay to purchase that board.

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Locally it costs $440 so looking at ebay and hunting for other sites that ship internationally (customs duty is a hit or a miss, have been charged for $200 items, have not been charged for $400 items... so thinking of risking it)

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Can we get a Tom's Hardware sticker somewhere? This PC am upgrading is all recommended by you guys :)

Got the Radeon HD 7950, Samsung 830 and the seasonic psu all thanks to recommendations here, now the mobo too, next gotta open a thread for what RAM to buy... thanks a lot guys... very much appreciate it... If any of you guys need any help with android devices hit me up... www.cursed4eva.com will be glad to return the favor :)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

If you can buy it in a local store, then you should really do just that. Buy at places like e-bay/amazon ONLY if you can't buy that product at the local stores. That's my personal opinion.

I can already tell you: get this or this (two kits), and you're good to go. These are very good Memory planks, I highly recommend them.

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
The price difference is around $50 if I order it online and anyway there are no returns here so even if I buy from a local store and the mobo is DOA, I need to go to the service center and maybe asus will replace/fix... same as what I need to do when ordering online :(

Samsung 830 Price difference local to ebay $120
Radeon HD7950 Price difference locak to amazon $110

Duh what?!

Based on what I've seen the ASUS Sabertooth X79, P9X79 WS, P9X79 Deluxe, P9X79 PRO, or sure the ASUS R4E (RIVE), the R4E is more for gaming; all support 8xDIMM. As far as memory, I've seen folks doing the same and wanting 128GB.

The ASUS have the best X79's, second is MSI, and Gigabyte (vDroop) are the absolute worst X79's, and the ASRock have too many problems (SATA). The only sure bet are the ASUS for X79's.

Personally I really like my Sabertooth X79 and I've built many gaming rigs based upon the ASUS R4E (RIVE) and the 4xDIMM R4F (decent onboard sound).

As far as overclocking, actually I have had the highest OC's and lowest vCore's with the Sabertooth X79 which I use primarily for a home PC and SQL testing; 4.8GHZ @ 1.36v - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2320509

If you're looking at 8GB/stick density then I've found it's best to stick with DDR3-1600 CAS 9~11 kits, the faster kits only add slightly ^faster 'rendering' but in the process more errors/month and instability as the 'cost.'

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012

Can you please explain this or link me to some place where its explained or give me terms to google if u are busy :)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Sigh...it's simple as a clear water, really.
Frequencies that are lower than 1800MHz, are the most stable frequencies.
Everything that's higher than 1600MHz is a very unstable frequency and officially aren't recommended by both hardware manufacturers and software developers.
Simply putting: if you're using 1600MHz Memory or lower, you'll almost never get any errors, while 1800+MHz Memory tends to be buggy and you'll probably get TONS of errors with it.