[SOLVED] Recommendations for Wifi routers, what I should be looking for

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Hello,

I have my internet coming in on one side of my house where I need to be hard wired for work speeds. I then had an ethernet cable brought into the center of the house, thinking that I could plug in an access point. When I'm shopping for routers, all I see are mesh devices, boosters, etc., which I have an Amplifi HD system now with 2 boosters and it just doesn't cut it with the far side of the house (long, spread out single level home). What should I be looking for? Are there any recommendations?

One thing I want to mention is that I saw some of these access points, namely Ubiquiti, that seems way overkill for a home - way too much power generated.

Appreciate any recommendations/direction. Thank you.

Solution
It's my understanding that those cube amplifi routers can also be used as access points, but allow for ethernet wired backhaul: https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006826048

If you're happy with the router you have now, it would be the cheapest and easiest solution.

If you want to switch to Ubiquiti without being overkill, they do have a new DREAM ROUTER( UDR-US-EA ) in EARLY ACCESS(you have to sign up for this) for $79. This would provide a 4x4 Wifi 6 access point, as well as be a router and have UNIFI software to manage your other access points. Then you can buy multiple WIFI 5 or Wifi 6 access points for you house which would take advantage of the ethernet wire.
It's my understanding that those cube amplifi routers can also be used as access points, but allow for ethernet wired backhaul: https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006826048

If you're happy with the router you have now, it would be the cheapest and easiest solution.

If you want to switch to Ubiquiti without being overkill, they do have a new DREAM ROUTER( UDR-US-EA ) in EARLY ACCESS(you have to sign up for this) for $79. This would provide a 4x4 Wifi 6 access point, as well as be a router and have UNIFI software to manage your other access points. Then you can buy multiple WIFI 5 or Wifi 6 access points for you house which would take advantage of the ethernet wire.

Reactions: neverknowu
Solution

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012

This is very helpful. I did not know you could use it for ethernet backhaul. Geez. It's not available to purchase at the moment, of course lol. I will check out the Dream Router.

Any experience with their access points that you can recommend one of them?

Thank you for replying.

I have 3 ubiquiti access points in my house, they’re rock solid.

The dome access points are designed to be mounted on the ceiling and radiate wifi horizontally. The flex cylindrical access points can be placed around the house more like traditional consumer access points but offer good 4x4 bandwidth. The M access points can be used outside and I own 2 of those. All of them are built with a wide temperature rating so can be used in places like a patio room or detached garage.

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
I have 3 ubiquiti access points in my house, they’re rock solid.

The dome access points are designed to be mounted on the ceiling and radiate wifi horizontally. The flex cylindrical access points can be placed around the house more like traditional consumer access points but offer good 4x4 bandwidth. The M access points can be used outside and I own 2 of those. All of them are built with a wide temperature rating so can be used in places like a patio room or detached garage.

Curious what your choice is for the router? Their gear is slanted toward enterprise type businesses, it seems. I tried backhaul with the Amplifi router and it didn't work very well so I'm looking for other options again.

kanewolf

Titan
One thing I want to mention is that I saw some of these access points, namely Ubiquiti, that seems way overkill for a home - way too much power generated.
That is the great thing about UniFI APs, you can turn DOWN the transmit power. I have 3 APs for a 1900sq ft house. Having multiple APs means I can do firmware upgrades and not interrupt WIFI. Pick your channels manually and turn down your power. That is basic tuning for UniFI hardware.

I use a more sophisticated QOS algorithm called CAKE which is a derivative of another algorithm called FQ_Codel. These algorithms allow the router to share bandwidth in an equitable manner. No lag, even while consoles or pc’s are updating and saturating my internet. However, these algorithms are extremely processor intensive. Even the best ARM routers can only traffic shape about 300-400mbps with these algorithms. Off the shelf solutions wouldnt work for me since I have gigabit internet.

I had no choice, but to build my own router. I bought a Athlon 3000G processor($59msrp and $50 on sale at the time) and a cheap motherboard and 4U rack case. I already had extra ram and a motherboard laying around. Cost me about $200 total. The software is on a USB drive. I bought 2 HP NC110 ethernet cards to run the WAN and LAN connections reliably. It’s been rock solid, traffic shaping is amazing up to my full gigabit connection. More stable than all my previous routers and wifi runs great. I run the Ubiquiti software on my NAS.

Last edited:

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
That is the great thing about UniFI APs, you can turn DOWN the transmit power. I have 3 APs for a 1900sq ft house. Having multiple APs means I can do firmware upgrades and not interrupt WIFI. Pick your channels manually and turn down your power. That is basic tuning for UniFI hardware.
Oh cool, that's really interesting! What do you use for your router?