Question Recommendations - KVM switch or Remote Desktop alternative

TwistedPixel

Honorable
Feb 28, 2015
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I've recently started working from home and was provided a laptop from work which the work must be done on.
I'm currently using remote desktop from my personal system to work on the laptop, but it's a bit laggy and interrupts my speed/flow.

My personal system has 2 monitors, one with HDMI, DVI & VGA the other has two HDMI inputs , DisplayPort , DVI and VGA , I would also want to use the mouse and keyboard.

Could anyone recommend a physical KVM switch(as software doesn't support extended displays as far as I'm aware) or a less laggy alternative to Remote Desktop?
Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model laptop, OS?

I would, as I understand the hardware environment, forego even a KVM switch.

Just put the work laptop directly on your home network. Wired connection recommended.

If you want the laptop to have two screens: its' own and a second extended screen then just directly plug into whichever personal system monitor and physical video connection (HDMI, DVI, VGA, or DP) works to your satisfaction.

Trade-off being the need to manually switch the monitor back and forth as required between personal system and work laptop.

Sometimes those sort of problems are easily resolved with the applicable HDMI, DVI, etc. extension cable. No crawling or reaching behind the personal system.

Manual swapping for a few days may prove quite viable or reveal other problems.

KVM may not even be necessary.

Try "low tech" first and go forward if and as necessary.