Recommendations on laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 1, 2020
Anyone here know exactly how long a 90wh asus laptop would last let's say playing red dead redemption 2 or modern warfare 👀and how many full charges can I pull with the Powerbank

gondo

Distinguished
There are only 4 Asus gaming laptops I would consider. 3 of them have 10th gen Intel CPUs and there is the new one with the AMD 4800 CPU. All others have the older 9th gen Intel which I wouldn't consider.

Looking at what's common between them. They are all 15". All have the latest tech like Wifi-6, USB C 3.2, high end audio, cooling, etc... So let's look at what's different with each and make a decision.

The AMD Zephyrus g15 is 1080p with a GTX 2060 GPU. Perfectly matched. It has a white backlit gaming keyboard.

The Intel Zephyrus Duo G15 is pretty high end. It has the latest Intel H series CPU and a 300Hz 1080p screen. It also has the secondary screen, numeric keypad, and the new GTX 2080 GPU. This is the cream of the crop and will be over twice the price of the AMD version.

Then there is the ROD Strix and Strix Scars. They have the mousepad that converts to a numeric keypad. Both are pretty equivalent to the Duo G15 minus the fancy second screen.

So it's pretty easy. If a GTX 2060 is good enough for you at 1080p then choose the cheaper AMD version. If you want the best GTX2080 GPU go with the Strix. If you want the fancy second screen go with the Duo, but you pay the price for that functionality.

Apr 1, 2020
There are only 4 Asus gaming laptops I would consider. 3 of them have 10th gen Intel CPUs and there is the new one with the AMD 4800 CPU. All others have the older 9th gen Intel which I wouldn't consider.

Looking at what's common between them. They are all 15". All have the latest tech like Wifi-6, USB C 3.2, high end audio, cooling, etc... So let's look at what's different with each and make a decision.

The AMD Zephyrus g15 is 1080p with a GTX 2060 GPU. Perfectly matched. It has a white backlit gaming keyboard.

The Intel Zephyrus Duo G15 is pretty high end. It has the latest Intel H series CPU and a 300Hz 1080p screen. It also has the secondary screen, numeric keypad, and the new GTX 2080 GPU. This is the cream of the crop and will be over twice the price of the AMD version.

Then there is the ROD Strix and Strix Scars. They have the mousepad that converts to a numeric keypad. Both are pretty equivalent to the Duo G15 minus the fancy second screen.

So it's pretty easy. If a GTX 2060 is good enough for you at 1080p then choose the cheaper AMD version. If you want the best GTX2080 GPU go with the Strix. If you want the fancy second screen go with the Duo, but you pay the price for that functionality.

Hi, thanks for your response

Just out of curiosity

Whats the difference between strix and scar? Which ones the better of the two? And is battery life good on strix and scar

gondo

Distinguished
The SCAR is a hotrodded version of the Strix. Basically the SCAR is available with an I9 and also a GTX 2080 Super. Basically comparable to the Duo minus the second screen.

The Strix is more mainstream with an I7 and a GTX 2070. At 1080p a 2070 is plenty, but these things are packing 240 and 300Hz screens. You need horsepower to to hit those FPS and a 2080 is worth it to some people.

You may see 4k screens available as an option on these laptops but they are only 60Hz. And it's hard to hit high FPS at 4k. You want the high Hz 1080p screen for gaming. Too bad OLED isn't too popular on these things.

Battery life will be in the 5hour range on these. The AMD based laptop is claiming 7 hours. The G14 AMD based laptop is claiming up to 11 hours. That's crazy for a GTX 2060 gaming machine.

Last edited: