Question Recommendations on PSU replacement because the one i have is crap ?

MrSnipyCat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
I'm currently using a modular Kolink KL-1000M bronze, which at the time i thought it was great until every time the computer gets into high load (gaming mostly) the computer just powers down, i guess its my fault for not searching for proper reviews on the PSU, so now i want to buy a new one, after checking the PSU tier list sticky thread here's the ones im thinking of buying as a replacement:

Seasonic Focus Platinum PX 750W Full Modular or Seasonic Focus Gold GX 750W Full Modular (the tier list says these 2 are great but would like opinions on them)

Corsair RM White Series RM750 80+ Gold Full Modular or Corsair RMx Series RM750x 80+ Gold Full Modular (Since rmx is only 20€ more expensive that seems to be the better choice)

This is my pc:
Motherboard - ATX MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
CPU - Intel Core i5-8600K Hexa-Core 3.6GHz/Turbo 4.3GHz 9MB
GPU - Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 11Gbps
RAM - 2x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-2666MHz CL16
SSDs - 2.5" SanDisk Plus 120GB + M.2 2280 Western Digital Blue 1TB 3D NAND SATA

I believe 750w is more than enough for this build no?

My budget is around 150€ for the PSU but I'll take any recommendations even if its a bit over that price, i just want this nightmare to end.

I'm currently using a modular Kolink KL-1000M bronze, which at the time i thought it was great until every time the computer gets into high load (gaming mostly) the computer just powers down, i guess its my fault for not searching for proper reviews on the PSU, so now i want to buy a new one, after checking the PSU tier list sticky thread here's the ones im thinking of buying as a replacement:

Seasonic Focus Platinum PX 750W Full Modular or Seasonic Focus Gold GX 750W Full Modular (the tier list says these 2 are great but would like opinions on them)

Corsair RM White Series RM750 80+ Gold Full Modular or Corsair RMx Series RM750x 80+ Gold Full Modular (Since rmx is only 20€ more expensive that seems to be the better choice)

This is my pc:
Motherboard - ATX MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
CPU - Intel Core i5-8600K Hexa-Core 3.6GHz/Turbo 4.3GHz 9MB
GPU - Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 11Gbps
RAM - 2x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-2666MHz CL16
SSDs - 2.5" SanDisk Plus 120GB + M.2 2280 Western Digital Blue 1TB 3D NAND SATA

I believe 750w is more than enough for this build no?

My budget is around 150€ for the PSU but I'll take any recommendations even if its a bit over that price, i just want this nightmare to end.
I highly recommend this psu I have used several of them in builds for people and not one have ever had issues in power we have had to replace other parts way before this would fail

Yeah, 750 is more than enough. Your GPU is rated at 250 watts as far as I can see.

Generally no over-riding reason to go to Platinum level. That level of efficiency would save you very little in electricity costs over Gold. But maybe you can get it at the same price?

I wouldn't shy away from semi modular. Might save you a few bucks and you are going to have to use a couple of cables anyway.

MrSnipyCat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
I highly recommend this psu I have used several of them in builds for people and not one have ever had issues in power we have had to replace other parts way before this would fail

I've read good things about those Corsairs googling around. It seems to be a pretty good workhorse.
Do you have any opinions on the Seasonics? Since they are considerably cheaper (around 50€ cheaper) and according to that post i referred to saying they are also pretty good, if that's true i might go with the Seasonic otherwise ill get the RMx

Yeah, 750 is more than enough. Your GPU is rated at 250 watts as far as I can see.

Generally no over-riding reason to go to Platinum level. That level of efficiency would save you very little in electricity costs over Gold. But maybe you can get it at the same price?

I wouldn't shy away from semi modular. Might save you a few bucks and you are going to have to use a couple of cables anyway.

Reason i want full modular is because the cable management in my case is a pain, the PSU slot is at the bottom of the case and the CPU connector is a the top of the motherboard and since the GPU already leaves almost no room to breathe and the CPU fan im using is a noctua fan which is also huge i already have to play with that cable around everything to connect the PSU to the CPU let alone have other cables loose all over the place, but ill still have a look at some semi modulars for sure.

Both better than any Seasonic. RMx is not worth the €20 extra. Just get the RM White. It has better, individually sleeved cables.

Since they are considerably cheaper (around 50€ cheaper)
That's a lot. Do you have a link to the webshop?

Reactions: white.a.drew
I've read good things about those Corsairs googling around. It seems to be a pretty good workhorse.
Do you have any opinions on the Seasonics? Since they are considerably cheaper (around 50€ cheaper) and according to that post i referred to saying they are also pretty good, if that's true i might go with the Seasonic otherwise ill get the RMx

Reason i want full modular is because the cable management in my case is a pain, the PSU slot is at the bottom of the case and the CPU connector is a the top of the motherboard and since the GPU already leaves almost no room to breathe and the CPU fan im using is a noctua fan which is also huge i already have to play with that cable around everything to connect the PSU to the CPU let alone have other cables loose all over the place, but ill still have a look at some semi modulars for sure.
The seasonic psu you listed I have very little experience myself with however it being a seasonic and platinum rated I would bet you 1 to a 1000 there will be a issue with it. Another words you should have 0 issues with it either but I can't promise anything on it

MrSnipyCat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
That's a lot. Do you have a link to the webshop?

Its a national supplier so unless you understand Portuguese you might need to use google translate. And its actually a 40€ difference, my bad.

https://pcdiga.com/componentes/font...-gold-full-modular-cp-9020199-eu-840006603641 (159,99€)

https://pcdiga.com/componentes/font...750w-full-modular-focus-gx-750w-4711173873365 (Gold - 119,99€)

https://pcdiga.com/componentes/font...750w-full-modular-focus-px-750-4711173874645# (Platinum - 119,99€ (40€ discount))

Measure your case.
One of the advantages of the seasonic focus series is that they are only 140mm deep.
The seasonic focus gx units will have a 10 year warranty.

As to modular or not, usually you will find that the attached leads are the essential ones and will all be used anyway.

As to gold vs. platinum, the electricity savings will take forever to pay for the extra cost.

Lastly, if you might ever upgrade to a 3000 series card, buy a 850w unit. 3000 series cards can have high spike power draws.
The upcharge for 750 to 850w is not usually much.

Reactions: white.a.drew

MrSnipyCat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
Measure your case.
One of the advantages of the seasonic focus series is that they are only 140mm deep.
The seasonic focus gx units will have a 10 year warranty.

As to modular or not, usually you will find that the attached leads are the essential ones and will all be used anyway.

As to gold vs. platinum, the electricity savings will take forever to pay for the extra cost.

Lastly, if you might ever upgrade to a 3000 series card, buy a 850w unit. 3000 series cards can have high spike power draws.
The upcharge for 750 to 850w is not usually much.

In that case ill buy the RM850 which in the store I'm buying from its at the same price as the RM750, but for some reason the white series RM850 is 30€ more expensive than the black one, is there any difference in performance for the different price tag?

In that case ill buy the RM850 which in the store I'm buying from its at the same price as the RM750, but for some reason the white series RM850 is 30€ more expensive than the black one, is there any difference in performance for the different price tag?
I do not know for certain, but it would be illogical to have a difference.
The white is more expensive because of supply and demand.
Some builders are more concerned about looks and will pay a premium for what appeals to them.

Ask the store why...
A good chance to test the store knowledge and how candid they are.