[SOLVED] Recommendations on upgrading storage

chadpmarshall

Reputable
Sep 8, 2016
Hi All. I currently have an i7-6700K 4ghz unlocked cpu, Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 (rev. 1.0) MOB. I have a 2.5 inch 250 gb SSD Windows 10, and a 1 TB HD for photos, programs and what not both connected via SATA. I would like to get some more performance/speed out of some of my programs and games and with this MOB supporting different types, M.2, SATA, PCI Express and the like, I am at a loss of what to choose. Is it beneficial to keep the 250 mb one for my OS and purchase a 1tb SSD for all else, or just by one for all the above? I have plenty of bays available, and I am currently only using 1 GPU, a GeForce GTX 1070 G1 gaming 8gb R2. Price range, I am trying to stay under $200 if possible. Is one type faster than the other in terms of what my system will support? Any help, direction, advise would be greatly appreciated. I am not super knowledgeable on how all of these different types work either, what is going to be faster, etc. I have very limited knowledge on most of this. Thanks in advance!

extreme_noob

Notable
Jul 30, 2018
m.2 nvme ssds aren't really noticeably faster than SATA in most applications except moving big files (like videos). Moving everything to one 1TB ssd will be much more convenient, and you can keep the 1TB HDD for backups.

Reactions: chadpmarshall

chadpmarshall

Reputable
Sep 8, 2016
A 1 or 2TB SATA III SSD.
Leave the OS on the current 250GB drive, and use this new one as a secondary. Move some games to it, for example.
I really like this idea, that way I can still make use of the money spent on the 250mb SSD and keep the OS on it. I ended up getting a 2TB SATA III SSD. One other question. As far as SATA and SATA Express, will there be much of a performance/speed difference between the 2? I appreciate the feedback.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS