[SOLVED] Recommendations on upgrading storage

chadpmarshall

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
Hi All. I currently have an i7-6700K 4ghz unlocked cpu, Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 (rev. 1.0) MOB. I have a 2.5 inch 250 gb SSD Windows 10, and a 1 TB HD for photos, programs and what not both connected via SATA. I would like to get some more performance/speed out of some of my programs and games and with this MOB supporting different types, M.2, SATA, PCI Express and the like, I am at a loss of what to choose. Is it beneficial to keep the 250 mb one for my OS and purchase a 1tb SSD for all else, or just by one for all the above? I have plenty of bays available, and I am currently only using 1 GPU, a GeForce GTX 1070 G1 gaming 8gb R2. Price range, I am trying to stay under $200 if possible. Is one type faster than the other in terms of what my system will support? Any help, direction, advise would be greatly appreciated. I am not super knowledgeable on how all of these different types work either, what is going to be faster, etc. I have very limited knowledge on most of this. Thanks in advance!

Solution
A 1 or 2TB SATA III SSD.
Leave the OS on the current 250GB drive, and use this new one as a secondary. Move some games to it, for example.

chadpmarshall

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
A 1 or 2TB SATA III SSD.
Leave the OS on the current 250GB drive, and use this new one as a secondary. Move some games to it, for example.
I really like this idea, that way I can still make use of the money spent on the 250mb SSD and keep the OS on it. I ended up getting a 2TB SATA III SSD. One other question. As far as SATA and SATA Express, will there be much of a performance/speed difference between the 2? I appreciate the feedback.