Recommendations

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Hey all, Im new to the site and I am building my first computer. I am wondering if my motherboard is ok or not and if I have enough power. I would also like to know if its going to be a decent computer or not. Below are my proposed specs for my comp.

Case-Cooler Master ATC-200 w/ 4 fans
Antec 400W Power Supply
Processor-AMD XP 2000+
Motherboard-Asus A7V333
Memory-512 MB Samsung PC-2700
Hard Drive-Seagate Barracuda 40 GB
Vid Card-VisionTek Geforce 4 TI-4400
Aud Card-Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer
Generic Floppy Drive
Toshiba DVD-ROM
Speakers-Klipch Promedia 4.1

Well those are my specs, I hope that there will be no conflicts, if u know of any I would appreciate knowin about them. I have also heard that the Audigy sound card has some bad issues with the VIA chipset. Is there a way to fix the conflict between them. I have also heard about the GA-7VRXP, is this a better motherboard choice? Well thats all I can think of for now. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I would really appreciate the input.

Thanx alot.

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
I noticed the A7V333 mobo. I am about to return my second one in less than a month. The latest one died when plugging in USB devices and eventually refused to post at all. I've had great luck with previous Asus boards and usually recommend them, but I'm going with a Gigabyte board. You might want to take a look at a 333 Gigabyte board instead...might even save a few $

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!

Mikeislo

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
First GREAT PC!!!

Thinking of buying something similar myself.
Here's what I'd buy (change):

Antec SX635II (good enought for me)
AMD XP 1800+ (much cheaper compared to 2000+)
Gigabyte GA-7VRX (IMHO better then ASUS at the moment)
Maxtor 40Gb 7200 ATA133 (I think Barracuda is ATA100)
SB Audigy 1394
Pioneer DVD 106S
and maybe a GF Ti 4200 video card (cheaper and you don't loose much as far as speed goes)

Everyting else RULEZ esp. Klipsch (are you getting them for $249).
What kind of keyboard/mouse and monitor are you getting.

Hope this helps :)

LastStop

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I just ordered a replacement board and memory for my AXP 2000+ (unlocked 1900+). I chose to get the Abit KX7-333R paired with Samsung PC2700. If features is what you're looking for, the Gigabyte is hard to be beat. The KX7 is just a plain board with no integrated LAN or audio. However, it's a very stable board in terms of overclocking.