Recommended Budget for Cheap Office Setup? (Or 2nd Laptop...?)

DiabloDj1

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Hey all --

I'm working on a Surface Book currently at my office, but that means I pack it up each day to come home with me. Getting a bit tired of that! I'd like your help in identifying budget rather than specific systems for now.

Looking for recommendations. My work is held in the browser and Microsoft Office.

I'm undecided whether I want to go desktop or laptop. The portability would be nice in case I want to take my work with me somewhere without having to stop home for my main laptop when leaving the office. This wouldn't happen often though. Desktop I imagine is better ergonomically...

If I want decent performance, assuming I'm used to the Surface Book, for these basic needs, what would I want to spend for a desktop (excluding monitor / keyboard, I guess)? What would I want to spend for a laptop?

Have you considered a dock? Something you plug into at the beginning of the day, then you can use a more ergonomic keyboard and mouse with a nicer monitor? (edit: I suggest this because I'm thinking that you aren't going to be able to give up the SBook and will still have to bring that to and from work each day)

If you are set on a PC. Look at getting something refurbed from newegg or the like. There are thousands of off lease computers (former business machines) that can be had for just a couple hundred bucks that can run MS office and a browser just fine. The warranties usually suck but, you can go to some place like squaretrade and get one of their warranties on the cheap. For a business machine that's probably your best bang for the buck.

Well it can depend some on what exactly you do on this system for work. But if its just basic office documents and web usuage then you can get buy with a $500 unit just fine. For size I'd actually go for a small form factor unit. Easy to move and won't get in the way of your current laptop.

Something like this would be be good for that kind of usage scenario.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Other: ASRock Deskmini 310w ($150.00)
Total: $413.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-24 11:56 EDT-0400

DiabloDj1

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

I haven't. That could be a solution, but my main thing is not carrying something in-and-out every day. This seems like it'd provide the desktop comfort but ability to go portable if I want once a week or so.

$300 - $500 sounds like a reasonable range. I wouldn't want to go too far above that right now. So sounds like I can definitely do that with a desktop; but a laptop + dock combo might not fit the budget, huh?

Sorry for the slow reply. A dock will run anywhere from 100-200 dollars depending on what you get. Plus you'll need a monitor and keyboard. Prices for which will vary wildly but you can get the bare minimum for $100. With the refurb machines you'd also need to supply a monitor though most will come with a keyboard. Just be sure to read the fine print. One of my coworkers found a decent monitor at goodwill of all places.