[SOLVED] Recommended build improvements (Planning)

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
So I'm looking to make a new comp.

I want it to be future proof (little hiccup, more on that later) but within a reasonable price frame (no more than $1800AUD, roughly $1200USD).

I am also not against a pretty pc (and would prefer it to look pretty over ugly, though I'm sure everyone does), I trust PC case gear as an Australian vendor (always quality shipping and warranty handling), shipping is usually reasonable also, I am open to different retailers, but shipping, quality of service and such also matter . I would like a build that can run pretty much every title at pretty good graphics 1440p 60+ fps, also is also able to computing tasks like rendering, modelling and... visual studios (many people have been there I'm sure) among much more, (big ask I know, I'm just about for a second opinion). I am super indecisive and 9/10 times need validation, left unchecked I would far exceed my budget so yeah...

So I seek a scalable build (that is, its future proof), PCIe 4 (although currently serving no purpose) has dropped and is likely to pick up by the end of 2020.

So to start off, I know RGB ram is more, but again, I'm a sucker for pretty things, so we have either a bundle deal for $779 (($54 off) big-budget hit already))
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Wraith Stealth (315)
ASUS Prime X570-P CSM Motherboard (289)
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 (229, a doosey on price. But it is 3600mhz)
or for $723 (cut back another $56)
MSI X570-A Pro Motherboard ($259, maybe just swap out this for asus prime and call it a day)
ADATA XPG Spectrix D41 RGB 3200MHz 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Red (149 on sale from 299)

So x570 chipset is a given to make use of PCIe 4, alongside a 3600 (which is also good at computing tasks listed earlier). Ram as far as I am aware doesn't change too much in performance based on the price and is more branding/peripherals

Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 RGB Mid Tower Case (119, 4 fans, I admit, its pretty things)
XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB / MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC (699/629)
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD 256GB ($99)

Current total (using XT as price point): $1696 (bundle) vs $1640 (Select)

I also have additional storage to use, which I will add from an older comp that I was using as a storage lifeline (replaces HDDs from 2002, call me a shmook)
1TB western digital caviar blue HDD
500 GB Crucial MX500 SSD

Now I know what you're going to say "Where is the PSU you doofus", that's the hiccup previously mentioned.

So (shocking PSU's I know, you must hate me but...) I have a Raidmax RX-1000AE (Not cougar, the cougar was especially bad) 1000W PSU, which has a definite 3 years in it for sure. And a (shocking another pretty dodgy PSU, we all love to hate, a VS series) Corsair VS450 with surprisingly... 450W which is still in the box, even with the plastic wrap on it, I won it free yay random contests.

So here lies the question(s) after a wall of text that could have been chunked to less than a life story.

Would I be able to lay off and suffice with one of these (mediocre) power supplies until the time comes where I replace it with a proper PSU (probably 850W EVGA), or must I get a proper PSU now? If I don't which would be the best to use in the meantime (I estimate roughly 430W usage, which is probably gonna knock the VS out of the picture).

Secondly, if any at all, what parts do you recommend I swap out, maybe some better (the msi x570 has very limited info compared to asus prime for example and so I sway away from it, I'm sure there are better mobos, but many break the bank so to speak), if you can identify improvements to be made that would help. I do like pretty, rgb motherboards help bring the flow.

That concludes my probably incoherent ramblings, make of it what you will and thanks for any help in advance! Who knows, maybe I've overlooked a hidden gem somewhere!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TDLR (I'm sure it is): Little simpler/less context

Good future proof 1440p gaming pc that is also good for computing tasks such as rendering, modeling, visual studios etc on $1800AUD budget

Is it worth getting PCIe 4 support (mobo CPU GPU) as a future-proofing (the below does include this)?

Parts to potentially purchase
ASUS Prime X570-P CSM Motherboard (289)
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 (175 (with bundle discount))
Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 RGB Mid Tower Case (119)
XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB (699)
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD 256GB (99)

$1696 total (incl. GST) not incl. shipping

Parts owned
1TB western digital caviar blue HDD
500 GB Crucial MX500 SSD
Corsair VS450
Raidmax RX-1000AE

Will either of those available power supplies is sufficient (OK grade/rank, not great)

Are there any improvements that could be made? Purple aesthetic is my game if that's relevant.

Last edited:
Solution
You could go 2600 and B450 and save yourself a fair chunk.
Also I’ve had issue with that RAM kit on my PC (2600 on X570) dominator plat (if ok price wise) is pretty much haunted to work with anything.

I’m a be quiet fanboy and wouldn’t buy their PSUs south of the Dark line and they’re overpriced. Go with a solid 650W+ EVGA G2/3 or a Corsair RMX.

overall though I’m confused as to what you’re asking. There’s too much text and it’s not structured in a way where it’s easy to help. An abridged version would be nice. Would you like a suggested build? You’ve listed about 4 different builds here and I’m not sure why.
You could go 2600 and B450 and save yourself a fair chunk.
Also I’ve had issue with that RAM kit on my PC (2600 on X570) dominator plat (if ok price wise) is pretty much haunted to work with anything.

I’m a be quiet fanboy and wouldn’t buy their PSUs south of the Dark line and they’re overpriced. Go with a solid 650W+ EVGA G2/3 or a Corsair RMX.

overall though I’m confused as to what you’re asking. There’s too much text and it’s not structured in a way where it’s easy to help. An abridged version would be nice. Would you like a suggested build? You’ve listed about 4 different builds here and I’m not sure why.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS