Recommended Builds by Usage

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tecmo34

Administrator
Recommended Builds by Usage
Last Updated on May 21, 2011
Reviewed and updated builds as required

Last Updated on March 26, 2011
Updated builds for newer components and replacing the Sandy Bridge motherboards for Rev3.0 versions

This thread is to provide a few "pre-built" options for those looking to build or upgrade based on usage, not including monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers or OS. I have defined the usage guidelines using information provided to me by sKora in his Index of "If sKora had..." topics thread under the "sKora's system design guide beta v0.1" section... Thanks sKora for providing me this information.

Bargain - Just a box that turns on and runs programs. This is older 2nd and 3rd gen tech and is built as a one and done. Very few parts can or should be carried over to a future build after a bargain build has exhausted its useful life.
Budget - Maximize the price/performance ratio and have some upgrade path. Budget builders have high enough standards to spend extra on quality parts that offer resonable returns. Its current tech after but usually baby brother versions of the high end options. They also will consider upgrade paths and options for future builds with what is bought now.
Gamer - With Price/Performance in mind, its more about getting great performance and quality and willing to pay some premium for it. Gamers use current tech with high end components, but not elite. The upgrade path is limited here as the initial build generally is near the top of the tech tree. Gamers aren't usually immediate adopters of next gen tech, but willing to do a full platform upgrade when warranted instead of just a component or too.
Enthusiast - Whats price? Performance at most any level. These are the ones buying multi GPU systems and the most powerful CPUs. Highest quality and the most current tech. Upgrades will happen until something else bright and shiney comes along that can't be stuck in their current system, then its a new build again. This will be the thinnest section from me and would need help from those that actually build/use these systems.
HTPC - This PC is designed to be used as Home Theater PC for the end user. It is not designed to be a gaming machine but requires some level of graphics power to play movies on a "Big Screen" TV.
Non-Gamer - This PC is designed for running office programs, internet, music... etc. Basically, a Dell PC... :D It is similar to my "Bargain" build but requires less video graphics power.
WorkStation - This PC is designed for running workstation applications designed towards the professional applications and systems.

As with all new builds, I highly recommend doing your research before doing any build to determine what your needs are.

I have provided what I find to be useful sites and areas to look for those answers.
Google - If you cannot find it there... than you probably won't find it anywhere... :D
Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC - This is my thread on how to build a PC step-by-step.
*How To Ask For New Build Advice* - This is the best thread to review how to ask for advice and is a required format to get the best answers.
PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems! - This thread provides very good details on trouble shooting when you have boot issues after your build.
*Guide to Choosing Parts* - This thread provides a very good guide in choosing parts and provides many important links and ideas.
Homebuilt PC Buying Guide - This thread provides a good guide in choosing parts for a new build.
Core 2 Overclocking Guide - This thread provides a very good guide to overclocking on the LGA 775.
LGA 1156 Core i5 and Core i7 Overclocking guide - This thread provides a very good guide to overclocking on the LGA 1156 CPU's.
CPU and Heatsink Lapping Guides - This thread provides information on lapping CPU's and Heatsinks to help improve the the thermal transfer between them.
CPU Buyer's Guide 2.0 - This thread provides good information on the end's & out's on what CPU to buy and related information.
The PSU Ranked List and Guide - This is a newer thread that has been created to provide a nice guideline for ranked PSU's by AMP's and Tier Levels.
Useful SSD Articles - This a good thread to research on Solid State Drives and what you need to understand about them.
Power Requirements and Specs for Popular Graphics Cards Guide - This is a new thread providing recommended power supply direction based on the graphics card you plan on purchasing.
Best Of Tom’s Hardware: Beginner’s Guide To Motherboard Selection - This is a great Tom's Hardware article on what to think about and look for when choosing a motherboard.
FrostyTech - Best Heat Sinks & PC Cooling - The website provides good reviews and rankings on all things heatsinks.
eXtreme Power Supply Calcuator Lite V2.5 - This site is a very useful site when you are trying to figure out what your power requirements are for your new build, so you get an idea on what PSU waltage you will need.
AnandTech: - I find this site has very good links to multiple reviews from many different sites you'll see referenced and pretty up-to-date on news.
techPowerUp! - I find this site has very good links to multiple reviews from many different sites you'll see referenced and pretty up-to-date on news.
JonnyGuru - The website provides good reivews and rankings on power supplies.
Mouse Ergonomics Guide from Razer - This is a good guide in providing an understanding the different grip styles for a mouse. (Thanks for the info.... jonsy2k)

All builds take a OS, Speakers, Monitors, Keyboards & a Mouse. I have not included those in the builds in my lists below in the other post, but I have listed a few I would recommend to add to any of my builds. This will add cost above and beyond what I have listed as budgets. Most builds I have helped OP's with over the last few months, normally have these components already, but I did want to give options for those that don't.

Operating System: Updated to include the three major OS still in use by Users (Thanks for the feedback... 4ryan6 & psycho sykes)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit for System Builders - OEM
Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Ubuntu

Monitor:
Hanns·G HW-191APB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000 :1 (ASCR) Built-in Speakers
ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
ASUS VE278Q Black 27" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 300 cd/m2 ASCR 10,000,000:1
Dell UltraSharp U3011 30-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Keyboard:
Logitech K120 Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - Retail
Saitek Eclipse II Illuminated Keyboard
RAZER Lycosa Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail
Logitech G19 Black USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail

Mouse:
Microsoft D66-00066 Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical Mouse - OEM
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse - 3.5G Infrared Sensor
GIGABYTE GM-M8000X Rubber Black 7 Buttons USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse (Recommended by obsidian86)
Cooler Master Sentinel Advance Gaming Mouse SGM-6000-KLLW1-GP, 8 Button, 5600 DPI, w/ OLED Display (Recommended by obsidian86)
Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse (Recommended by dirtdiver)
RAZER Mamba Black 7 Buttons USB Laser Gaming Mouse - Dual Mode Wired/Wireless Functionality - Retail

Speakers / Headset:
Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - OEM
Logitech Z506 75 watts RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail
M-Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe 70-watt Bi-amplified Studio Reference Monitors (Recommended by Zinosys)
Logitech H360 USB Connector Supra-aural Headset
Creative Fatal1ty Professional Series Gaming Headset MKII

Routers: (Recommended by just a nickname)
TRENDnet TEW-639GR IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n 2 Wireless Router - Retail
D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router - Retail
D-Link DGL-4100 10/100/1000Mbps GamerLounge Broadband Gigabit Gaming Router - Retail

Extras:
1ST PC CORP. 12" 8-pin EPS extension cable Model CB-8M-8F - Retail - This is normally needed on full size cases to help with the cable management.
ICY DOCK MB882SP-1S-1B 2.5" to 3.5" SSD & SATA Hard Drive Converter - Black - Retail - This will be required when you purchase a SSD to convert it to a 3.5" drive for your case.
SpeedFan - Very useful tool to download to monitor temps and control fan speeds.
CPUID's CPU-Z - Very useful tool to download to monitor system information and speeds.
CPUID's Hardware Monitor - - Very useful tool to download to monitor temps, fan speeds and voltage.
Real Temp - CPU Temperature Monitoring - Very useful tool to download to monitor your CPU temps.
CoreTemp - Very useful tool to download to monitor your CPU temps.
Prime95 - Most used downloaded software to stress your system to make sure it is stable throughout each process (overclocking... etc.)
MemTest86+ - Most used downloaded software to test your memory to make sure it is not defective.
■Futuremark's 3DMark Vantage (Vista / Win7) or 3DMark06 (XP) - Most used downloaded benchmark software to be compared against to see how your system ranks with similar parts.

I listed the information provided in Proximon's *Guide to Choosing Parts* on building a PC, since it is very good information and felt it was important to post in my thread, as well.
■Here is a GOOD step-by-step. Really good. If you encounter anything in any other links that contradict this, THIS is the right one. Sadly, no pics: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Assemble_A_Desktop_PC/Assembly#CPU
■Here is a tutorial with pictures that shows how to put together a cheap PC. All parts are cheap and you should NOT use the PSU they use: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/build_a_500_pc_play_crysis_40fps?page=0,1
■This you tube video has some good points, and is done with fairly modern equipment, all new. The case he is using is a micro-ATX case from Antec: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdsUuWlhOvo
■Proximon's method for applying thermal paste to Heatpipe Direct Touch (HDT) coolers such as the Xigmatek or Sunbeam CCTF: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252942-29-some-notes-applying-thermal-paste-xigmatek
■This is a good ariticle about "Building a PC: Step by Step Guide" using current parts by DriverHeaven... http://www.driverheaven.net/articles.php?articleid=132&pageid=1
■This is a good Tom's Hardware article about how to put a PC together. I would recommend reading through this one, as well: http://www.tomshardware.com/review_print.php?p1=1382

Thanks for taking the time to read through my post and making this a stickie. My goal is to update this once or twice a month as new technology comes out and prices change.

Some of us that strategy game would probably benefit more. I'm more interested in SATA 3 bandwidth issues currently though. 890FX seems like a nice option for this reason.

Hoping to see some definitive crossfire w/SATA 6gb comparisons soon, using 890FX and X58.

doopymmp

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hi guys! Looking to build a PC, gaming PC. Because of my location it's pointless I give a budget but I've been looking at something like this:

CPU: AM3 Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz BE
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA790GX T-Series AM3 DDR3 PCI-E 2.0
RAM: TEAM PC3-12800 DDR3 4GB Xtreem Low-Voltage 2x2GB Kit - CL 8-8-8-24-2T, 1.65
GFX: Club 3D Radeon HD5770 OC 1GB GDDR5 128-bit PCI-E 2.1
Then Antec 200 case, 500GB HDD(Got big externals), LG GH22LS10 22x Lightscribe SATA, Coolermaster 550W PSU.

I then got recommended to rather get the i5 750, but not sure what to go for here. What you guys think? If I go for the i5, what motherboard should I get that's about the same price as 790GX?

I'm looking for something that will run games at max, even if not at 1980 x 1080, 1650 x 1050 is fine. And hopefully it will be able to support new games for 4 years obviously not playing those in years at max but atleast at a playable level.

Thanks in advance for the help :sol:

tecmo34

Administrator

Here is a similar priced motherboard & performance on a LGA 1156 Socket... Gigabyte GA-P55 USB3

Gone for gamer number 3 - with a few modifications to make it hackintosh compatible.

BananaRaMa
http://emohost.co.cc/imgs/signature_smiley-2-1.jpg
Glad to hear you went with one of my suggested builds (modified for your needs) :)

doopymmp

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I decided to rather go with this:

AMD socket AM3 Phenom II x4, Quad-core 965 (3.4 GHz) Black edition

ASUS M4A77TD - AMD 770/SB710 Chipset, Socket AM3 ONLY, Phenom II

TEAM PC3-12800 DDR3 4GB Xtreem Low-Voltage 2x2GB Kit - CL 8-8-8-24-2T, 1.65 Volts, Aluminium heat-sink, Lifetime Warranty

Club 3D Radeon HD 5850 1GB - 256-bit, 725MHz Clock, 1024MB 128-bit GDDR5 Memory 4000MHz, 1440 Stream Processing Units, 400MHz RAMDAC, Dual DL-DVI, HDMI, Display Port 2 Year Warranty

Coolermaster RC-310-SWN1, Elite 310 , black with Silver highlight, Windowed side panel, No psu

Vantec ioN2+A van-550A, EPS12V, 80PLUS certified for energy saving, 550w power supply (12v: 420w)

Samsung SH-S223C, 22x, Sata, black, with SAT, super-multi:
Western Digital CAViAR black WD5001AALS 500 GB, S-ATA2, 7200rpm

Samsung B2230H 21.5" Monitor

What do you think tecmo? Bear in mind this PC is for gaming.

tecmo34

Administrator
Two changes (if available to you):
1) Get the X4 955 C3 over the X4 965. No need to spend the extra cash for similar performance.

2) Get either the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB or Seagate 7200.12 500GB over the WD. They are faster hard drives, since they are based on a single 500GB platter.

G

Awesome forum topic! I’ve always been apprehensive of home-grown computer builds due to my lack of knowledge/experience. Not necessarily the assembly, but software set up and tweaking. However, this community seems very receptive to new-comers and providing help. So here goes stepping outside the box and perhaps giving a homebuilt a try. I am eyeing the AMD Gamer build. I, after all, am a gamer and have always used Dell and the like. My questions are as follows (sorry if they are supremely newbish):

1. RAM: Recommended Corsair version? Debating Fry’s (down the street) or New Egg, and Fry’s doesn’t have this brand.

2. GPU: = MIA. Is this a good substitute? <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161330>

3. GPU: Also, I’ve seen the 5830 in Fry’s @ ~$279. Is this a good alternative?

4. Upgradeability: In your gamer build description, your methodology was based on the premise that gamers typically upgrade their entire rig instead of components. I would like to add a second GPU, HDD, DVD/Blu Ray, and additional RAM at some point as funds come available. I assume this build allows for this based on the Mobo specs? Would you recommend different components (Mobo, PSU) to make this easier down the line? And is it even worth it instead of creating an entirely new build? Really, how long would you anticipate this build “lasting”?

5. PCI E 2.1 16x vs 8x, 8x: After reading sites/forums, I am still not 100% sure how this works. Basically, 16x is for one card and 8x each is for two? How do these differ, why the bump down to 8x? Is it possible to have 16x, 16x?

6. The majority of my anxiety with a home-build is on the software side of things. Any good references for step-by-step (if available), help, or the like would be appreciated.

7. Performance wise, how does the Intel Gamer build compare?

I appreciate any guidance/help.

tecmo34

Administrator
1. RAM: Recommended Corsair version? Debating Fry’s (down the street) or New Egg, and Fry’s doesn’t have this brand.

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C7

2. GPU: = MIA. Is this a good substitute? <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161330>

I would go with either of these 5850's over the HIS. HIS is not the best manufacturer.

3. GPU: Also, I’ve seen the 5830 in Fry’s @ ~$279. Is this a good alternative?

5830 is not a good option at it's price point. It isn't strong enough for 1920 x 1080 resolution and costs to much to warrant over the 5770 at below 1920 x 1080 resolution

4. Upgradeability: In your gamer build description, your methodology was based on the premise that gamers typically upgrade their entire rig instead of components. I would like to add a second GPU, HDD, DVD/Blu Ray, and additional RAM at some point as funds come available. I assume this build allows for this based on the Mobo specs? Would you recommend different components (Mobo, PSU) to make this easier down the line? And is it even worth it instead of creating an entirely new build? Really, how long would you anticipate this build “lasting”?

Yes, these build allow for upgrade to a second GPU, additional hard drives, Blu Ray, more RAM etc... All the Gamer builds and above allow for room to grow. I'll have to review my wording on the gamer description because it didn't come across correctly than about upgradeable path.

5. PCI E 2.1 16x vs 8x, 8x: After reading sites/forums, I am still not 100% sure how this works. Basically, 16x is for one card and 8x each is for two? How do these differ, why the bump down to 8x? Is it possible to have 16x, 16x?

You are correct on the x16 for one x8,x8 for two. It is possible to have 16x,16x on the older chipsets but it is only going to give your a 2% to 4% increase, which isn't worth the price increase... IMO

6. The majority of my anxiety with a home-build is on the software side of things. Any good references for step-by-step (if available), help, or the like would be appreciated.

Here are two stickies for your review....
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

7. Performance wise, how does the Intel Gamer build compare?

They would be pretty equal in performance with the slight edge to the overall system to the Intel build... IMO

bridog

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Thanks for this amazing guide!
I'm new to the forum (well, just registered... I've been lurking around for a while now), and new to building my own system. But I'm looking forward to the fun and the challenge.

I'm going with the following recommended build, but with minor changes.

I have opted to go with an i7-980x. Yes, I am fully aware that it is massive overkill for any of my needs... I have weighed the options, and have let the pure desire to have this bad boy take over the decision.
I am also going with a watercooling set up. Namely the Swiftech Ultima XT kit with an Epsilon HD5970 cooler.

I have ordered a fair amount of the items already, with just a few left.

I have 2 questions for you pros though...

1 - Will the 850W psu still be enough with the addition of the water pump/system? I do plan to attempt mildly overclocking in the future. But nothing too crazy.
2 - I was considering upping the RAM. But according to Asus' QVL for RAM for that board, the only approved kit beyond 6gb is a 3x4GB set, which is more than I'm willing to spend on the RAM (yes, I'm willing to overspend on a cpu though lol). Are there really no other viable RAM kits for this setup? I was hoping to go with something like a 6x2GB set. Any suggestions? Or should I just stick with the 3x2 as you suggested?

And if anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Thanks! And I look forward to becoming a part of this great site!

tecmo34

Administrator

First... Welcome to the forum and thanks for your feedback!

1) If you don't plan on running a Crossfire setup, you'll be fine with 850W with water-cooling. If you want to setup a Crossfire setup with water-cooling, I would look at the Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU... IMO to be on the safe side.

2) I would recommend these G.SKILL PI+ Turbulence 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL6T2-12GBPIS for a 6x2GB set, if within your price range. :)

bridog

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

As reaper-fenix just said..... thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. It is greatly appreciated.
I updated the RAM and ordered everything (except for the SSD and the extension cable that you suggested to a few others - both are out of stock at Newegg lol).

If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have known where to even start. So thanks again for helping me get started on this project.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I see that your lists of components for the $505.91 AMD Bargain Build and $768.91 AMD Budget Build both use the same Sunbeam CR-CCTF heatsink fan. Both are AM3 CPU builds but I noticed that the specs for the fan, as listed both on newegg and on the manufacturers site, list it as compatible with AM2 and AM2+ but not AM3. Are you sure these will work in those builds?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/cooler/Core-ContactFreezer.html

tecmo34

Administrator
rockyjohn... Good question :)

It has always been my understanding that heat sinks the fit AM2+ will work on AM3 motherboards, as AMD used the same retaining bracket setup. So even though it doesn't say AM3, I'm confident it will fit/work without issues. If someone has knowledge it doesn't work, I will remove and update the heat sink for those builds immediately.

big_mike

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I have been working on an enthusiast system over the last month and then I find this thread. I have EXACTLY part for part the enthusiast AMD build with the case being the only difference and I can tell you this machine is a BEAST.
It made me feel a lot better, I put about 40 hours into researching each part I was purchasing and I could have just found it here! Thanks