[SOLVED] Recommended CPU Cooler? (3D rendering)

maccannon

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
Hi

I have a pc built for average design/gaming use in a SFF case (Node 202) which has "ok" temps. But a new freelance job requires me to do some 3d rendering which pumps those temps up waay too high - peaks high 80s, might even go higher but I don't let it go any further since I'm worried about it going higher. So I gotta get a new case/cooling. Fortunately a friend sold me a Fractal Design Meshify M-ATX Case for cheap, so the case is sorted.

Thinking of getting a 240mm AIO cooler since it'll be running at 100% for extended periods, what should I get? was looking at a NZXT Kraken X52, Corsair Hydro H100, etc. but not quite sure which would do the best job? (or if it's overkill?)

Hardware I'll be transferring over to the new case:
CPU - Intel Core i7 8700
MOBO - ASUS ROG Strix H370-I
GPU - ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC Edition
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
SSD - Samsung 500GB SSD, 970 EVO Plus
SSD #2 - Samsung 1TB SSD, 970 EVO Plus
PSU - SilverStone 500W SFX (getting bracket for new case)

Thanks!

Solution
Since overall airflow in that case could be a factor, and since indications from reviews are that there could be some issues with VRM overheating in cases where there is not significant airflow, even without K sku processors, I might recommend this Cryorig unit that includes an addition fan that can be pointed directly at the VRMs to keep them cool.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rwzZxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-a40ultimate

That aside, if you intend that you will be using the radiator front mounted and will be filling the remainder of the fan locations (exhaust, in the rear and top locations) then this would probably be about the best choice without going berserk on the budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by...
Since overall airflow in that case could be a factor, and since indications from reviews are that there could be some issues with VRM overheating in cases where there is not significant airflow, even without K sku processors, I might recommend this Cryorig unit that includes an addition fan that can be pointed directly at the VRMs to keep them cool.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rwzZxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-a40ultimate

That aside, if you intend that you will be using the radiator front mounted and will be filling the remainder of the fan locations (exhaust, in the rear and top locations) then this would probably be about the best choice without going berserk on the budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $109.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-21 21:15 EDT-0400

A very good AIO. Plenty for that configuration. Either of these actually. We have several moderators with the Cryorig units and they are extremely happy with them. Review of both these coolers are pretty terrific as is the track record of both companies. The NZXT product will require the use of CAM, so I would avoid it. Not going into a page long rant again on why, but you can read why here:

https://support.camwebapp.com/forum...s/19538782-fully-offline-mode-for-cam-privacy

Solution

maccannon

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
Thanks Darkbreeze, both look great! Leaning towards that Cryorig to be on the safe side for surrounding components.

By the way - Just read the comments on that link on CAM, I'll probably try avoid NZXT if I can from now on.

I pulled all my NZXT hardware out of my case except for my Hue+ LED lighting, and I'm running that off an open source lighting control program. Not as rich in control features as CAM for the light strips, but at least I was able to rid myself of the CAM software that was constantly sending a data stream back to NZXT.

TRENDING THREADS