[SOLVED] Recommended GPU Upgrade Also ( Other Optional) Upgrades

Nov 5, 2019
Hello Folks
Black Friday/Cyber Monday Is upon us and my outdated pc requires some upgrades for future gaming and I require the best minds on here on what would be the best fit for me financially and future proof. I'm going half and half going physically to local computer stores (Best Buy,Fry's) and online to browse what will be available to me.

What Are you seeking?
I'm trying to upgrade my pc enough to play current and future games at high/max settings,I'm also wanting to add whatever additional things (if needed/recommended) needed to keep my pc future proof where I don't have to upgrade that often gpu, fan, PSU etc in the near future

What Is Your Budget?
My Budget Will be between 300-700$ (will put more money in if needed)

What Games Are you trying to run and on what specs?
I'm trying to play the latest games like Red Dead Redemption 2 Call of Duty Modern Warefare and other future 2020 pc games on high-Possible max settings at 60 fps or more. I want to get the best pc gaming experience possible with my budget range

My Computer Specs
Case- CyberpowerPC Zeus Mini
OS Windows 7
Video Card- Nvidia Geforce GTX 780
CPU-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
PSU-Seasonic X Series x-850 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

The only concern I have is will whatever updated Video Card will fit into my desktop case (CyberpowerPC Zeus Mini)
All Recommendations and advice would be grateful to all!

Also other note I'm not aiming to overclock my pc either other than that thanks all who reply!

Solution
Looks like it takes a standard 10.5" blower style card based on the pictures I have seen. Pretty much all but the largest cards should fit just fine.

GTX780 used 230W and if I recall an 8-pin and 6-pin power connector. That is pretty much every big GPU on the market, excepting a few high end that require dual 8-pin. With a $700 budget, you are wide open for anything up to an RTX 2070 Super.

This should do: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/88...r-8-gb-black-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-3071-kr

Nothing fancy, and you could spend more. Just make sure to stick to dual fan designs that are of average length. Sadly no one makes blower style RTX cards, even the founder's edition is a dual fan design. Blower...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like it takes a standard 10.5" blower style card based on the pictures I have seen. Pretty much all but the largest cards should fit just fine.

GTX780 used 230W and if I recall an 8-pin and 6-pin power connector. That is pretty much every big GPU on the market, excepting a few high end that require dual 8-pin. With a $700 budget, you are wide open for anything up to an RTX 2070 Super.

This should do: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/88...r-8-gb-black-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-3071-kr

Nothing fancy, and you could spend more. Just make sure to stick to dual fan designs that are of average length. Sadly no one makes blower style RTX cards, even the founder's edition is a dual fan design. Blower style cards act as part of the exhaust system. Monitor temperatures and if you have issues with throttling post again and someone can help you with potential cooling options.

i7-4790k is still perfectly capable. You might need to consider replacing it in a few years. There are a few games out there that prefer more CPU cores, but the majority of games will be made to with quad cores for a few more years.

For the 'Latest' 2020 games, you should probably consider Windows 10, so factor in $100 for an OS upgrade in the near future. Many titles will be DX12 only, I suggest looking into the titles you may want to play and the game engines they run on.

Reactions: PCDRE92
Solution
Nov 5, 2019

Nothing fancy, and you could spend more. Just make sure to stick to dual fan designs that are of average length. Sadly no one makes blower style RTX cards, even the founder's edition is a dual fan design. Blower style cards act as part of the exhaust system. Monitor temperatures and if you have issues with throttling post again and someone can help you with potential cooling options.

i7-4790k is still perfectly capable. You might need to consider replacing it in a few years. There are a few games out there that prefer more CPU cores, but the majority of games will be made to with quad cores for a few more years.

For the 'Latest' 2020 games, you should probably consider Windows 10, so factor in $100 for an OS upgrade in the near future. Many titles will be DX12 only, I suggest looking into the titles you may want to play and the game engines they run on.

Thank you for the response Eximo!

The RTX Card is a highly considerable card I have noticed for some time now and that could be very great investment for the time being. I shall consider buying from your expert knowledge!

while the subject at hand would be an issue not having a blower-style card, do you have any recommendations on me requiring any upgradable CPU fan

I'm aiming for upgrading the cpu next year so I will hold on to that. Speaking of which do you have any suggested cpu's for me to take a dab at?

I'm going to take the advantage of the free windows 10 upgrade I have I just been kinda holding out until the deadline of the end of windows 7 support you know? I'm gonna miss this OS

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
New CPU fan is not a requirement, would also be somewhat difficult in the chassis. If you are good at taking measurements you would want to know the height from the base of the cooler to the side panel when closed (You may have to guess a little there)

But just to get a figure close enough to rule out larger coolers.

There are better low profile coolers out there, but they all come with fitment issues with memory...Any that don't and they won't be hugely better than what you have. Until the CPU starts overheating, not something to worry about. Adding more GPU may lead to more CPU usage though, so it is something to monitor.

Any replacement CPU is basically going to mean a whole new computer, so I wouldn't spend too much on upgrades to the system. Save your money for the new components.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hbnG3C/noctua-nh-l12s-554-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-l12s

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9FGj4D/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk002

I would just prepare to ask again regarding the CPU in a few years. Any advice now will be out of date soon enough.

But if you were to build a new system today, I would lean towards AMD. Probably a Ryzen 3600. Unless you have deep pockets, in which case an i7-9700k or i9-9900k is an option. Pretty minor gains at that point. I would only recommend Intel for high FPS output, like 200+ at 1080p. If you are looking at higher resolution monitors the clock speed advantage falls away.

Nov 5, 2019
New CPU fan is not a requirement, would also be somewhat difficult in the chassis. If you are good at taking measurements you would want to know the height from the base of the cooler to the side panel when closed (You may have to guess a little there)

But just to get a figure close enough to rule out larger coolers.

There are better low profile coolers out there, but they all come with fitment issues with memory...Any that don't and they won't be hugely better than what you have. Until the CPU starts overheating, not something to worry about. Adding more GPU may lead to more CPU usage though, so it is something to monitor.

Any replacement CPU is basically going to mean a whole new computer, so I wouldn't spend too much on upgrades to the system. Save your money for the new components.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hbnG3C/noctua-nh-l12s-554-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-l12s

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9FGj4D/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk002

I would just prepare to ask again regarding the CPU in a few years. Any advice now will be out of date soon enough.

But if you were to build a new system today, I would lean towards AMD. Probably a Ryzen 3600. Unless you have deep pockets, in which case an i7-9700k or i9-9900k is an option. Pretty minor gains at that point. I would only recommend Intel for high FPS output, like 200+ at 1080p. If you are looking at higher resolution monitors the clock speed advantage falls away.

For CPU fan goes I have an Intel Brand LGA 1156 measurements are (13 x 4 x 6 inches ) so the recommendation on the cooler links you sent me should be a-ok on choosing between one of the two?

You're right about purchasing a CPU because with that in mind I almost as well need a new motherboard and to that point, it just be a new computer so ill hold onto that in the future.

I think I have everything regarding what I need for the time being appreciate the information and the advice/suggestions you have given me Exmio.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Are those the motherboard dimensions? Not really relevant. I would certainly not recommend keeping that chassis for any future upgrades, unless you really like it. It will always be a cause of questions since it isn't a retail, off the shelf, chassis. (Though it probably is, would just have to identify the make and model it is based on)

I was talking about the distance between the CPU itself and the side panel of the chassis which determines the maximum CPU cooler height, usually measured in millimeters. This should be fairly small in a small form factor chassis like that one. The coolers I put there as examples are quite low-profile, Noctua is only 70mm high, but they are not guaranteed to fit. Plenty of smaller coolers that will, but as I said, probably not all that much better than what you already have.

Again, don't worry about a CPU cooler unless this new GPU increases the load to the point of throttling. It probably won't. But I'm not sure how much that GTX780 is playing as part of your exhaust system, really my only concern.

Could be as simple as adding an exhaust fan or intake fan to the system somewhere. The experts here can look into it if it becomes an issue.

Nov 5, 2019
Actually, the motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-Z97N-WIFI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813128720

The dimensions I previous posted were for the CPU fan but I'm not concerned now of the CPU fan from all info you gave me.

The case can be an issue since it not big, I previously purchased it from cyberpower but they no longer manufacture the cases at the time I was in awe about the case cause it gave me a more Xbox appearances now I know when I do invest into a newer computer I'll go with a tower case to be safer.

https://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-ZMi300-Desktop-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00KBCUCX2

but if GPU is the only thing that needs to be done then that is great for me. thanks again