[SOLVED] Recommended graphics card replacement (see post for specs)?

Sean16

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
My graphics card busted a while ago... and I never really got around to finding a suitable replacement, but having trouble deciding.

I'm not looking for anything high-end, I just want something that'll allow me to play the majority of games (not so much bothered with newer games).

Preferably, I'd like a modern equivalent of the GPU that I had, which was a Club 3D Radeon R9 270 Royal Queen. I realise that's not necessarily a viable option now but don't want to strive too far from the older technology already in my PC in case of incompatibility or whatever. I was recommended a Club 3D Radeon R7 370 Royal Queen as a replacement but they're not so common nowadays.

My PC's around 6-years-old now but I have no interest in upgrading my entire system.

Specs are:

CPU: AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
HDD: 2TB
Power supply: XFX Pro 550W

Cheers, any recommendations on what would be best for my PC would be greatly appreciated. I realise I'm not being very flexible here, given the age of my system, but I really don't care much for upgrading, especially when my machine's still going.

Solution
It's not a problem if your CPU becomes a bottleneck, because now it's no longer the GPU that's holding things back. Plus, when you do eventually upgrade the rest of the system (new MB, RAM, and CPU on a modern platform), you can carry the new GPU with you - and I think that the Sapphire Pulse RX 570 is a pretty good choice.
I proposed the used FX8350 CPU upgrade along with the new GPU earlier. If you're trying to keep this cheap and simple, that's the best option. You don't NEED to do both at the same time though.

I don't know where to look for used hardware in the UK though. Would definitely recommend posting back here with pricing on what you find, just to make sure it's actually worth it. There's a line to be walked here, for sure.

Keep in mind that a GPU purchase can be carried over to a new system (depending on what that timeline looks like)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean16

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's not a problem if your CPU becomes a bottleneck, because now it's no longer the GPU that's holding things back. Plus, when you do eventually upgrade the rest of the system (new MB, RAM, and CPU on a modern platform), you can carry the new GPU with you - and I think that the Sapphire Pulse RX 570 is a pretty good choice.

Reactions: Sean16
Solution

Sean16

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
I proposed the used FX8350 CPU upgrade along with the new GPU earlier. If you're trying to keep this cheap and simple, that's the best option. You don't NEED to do both at the same time though.

I don't know where to look for used hardware in the UK though. Would definitely recommend posting back here with pricing on what you find, just to make sure it's actually worth it. There's a line to be walked here, for sure.

Keep in mind that a GPU purchase can be carried over to a new system (depending on what that timeline looks like)
Cheers all, think I'm gonna go down the RX 570 route, with a potential CPU upgrade in the future.

Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS