[SOLVED] Recommended M.2 SSD for my board.

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
okay bros. so i have an ASRock AB350 pro4 with ryzen first gen. and the board has 2 m.2 sluts on it. and i would like to buy one for now to use as a new boot disc. but i still dont know whats the difference between the nvme and the sata ones since they look the same.

i dont care much for raw performance since i have since became a casual gamer and a slight power user because of work ( i know RIP ) and for storage im okay with 512gb at least since i dont ever have that many things installed on my PC at any given time anyway including games.

the asrock page says the ultra m.2 is pcie and the other m.2 is sata.

does that mean the ultra m.2 is the nvme one? and the m.2 is sata3 even though they look the same?

and any recommendations would be cool too. thank you bros.

TL DR what m2 nvme for my board? lol

Solution
okay bros. so i have an ASRock AB350 pro4 with ryzen first gen. and the board has 2 m.2 sluts on it. and i would like to buy one for now to use as a new boot disc. but i still dont know whats the difference between the nvme and the sata ones since they look the same.

i dont care much for raw performance since i have since became a casual gamer and a slight power user because of work ( i know RIP ) and for storage im okay with 512gb at least since i dont ever have that many things installed on my PC at any given time anyway including games.

does that mean the ultra m.2 is the nvme one? and the m.2 is sata3 even though they look the same?

and any...

kanewolf

Titan

and any recommendations would be cool too. thank you bros.

TL DR what m2 nvme for my board? lol
SATA M.2 drives are generally cheaper than the NVMe drives. They have the same performance as 2.5 SATA drives -- just no cabling required. Sometimes the 2.5inch drives are actually cheaper than the M.2 equivalent. So compare the two form factors.
Your motherboard has a couple of footnotes related to the M.2 slots
*M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.
**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.

Be aware of the limitations.
For brand recommendations, @USAFRet provided solid recommendations.

Reactions: computer_nugget2
Solution

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
SATA M.2 drives are generally cheaper than the NVMe drives. They have the same performance as 2.5 SATA drives -- just no cabling required. Sometimes the 2.5inch drives are actually cheaper than the M.2 equivalent. So compare the two form factors.
Your motherboard has a couple of footnotes related to the M.2 slots
*M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.
**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.

Be aware of the limitations.
For brand recommendations, @USAFRet provided solid recommendations.

thank you. i havent been the pc game for a while and this whole m.2 blew right by me lol. i mean i dont care about speed much since ssd is faster than disc. and i kinda dont like having too many drives all plugged in right now because i havent cleaned up my cables lol. but thank you.

and thank you @USAFRet

TRENDING THREADS