Question Recommended mains adapter for laptop ?

ILI-BIG

Prominent
Feb 12, 2023
Hi everyone. I m using 19V 90W 4.74A adapter. This adapter overheats after CPU upgrade. I found FSP 19V 150W 7.89A adapter from aliexpress. Is it enough for my laptop?

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P305-S8915
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Old CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400
New CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme X9100

Lutfij

Titan
You're trying awfully hard to convert the laptop into something that's beyond spec;

The reason I bring that up is due to the fact that the processor upgrade you'd performed is 9W TDP higher than the processor you were on prior. It shouldn't even cause your adapter to heat up. It should in essence cause your laptop to heat up since the cooling solution wasn't exactly designed for a higher TDP part, while having that hybrid/mobile discrete GPU in that cooling loop. The other side of that story would be the microcode on the laptop's BIOS being unable to discern what to do with the unsupported CPU in the laptop.

In fact, what will happen is that the motherboard's power delivery will give out in spectacular fashion since it's beyond it's useful lifecycle and the power delivery componentry on the laptop will already be beyond the point of heir optimal operating window(given how it's beyond a decade old now).

TRENDING THREADS