[SOLVED] Recommended monitor for under $700 US and for digital illustrations and gaming.

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Good afternoon.

What would be a recommended purchase for under 700 US dollars for a monitor geared towards digital illustration, video editing, and gaming?

Thank you.

Solution
you never know what models and prices you will find available at different retailers these days so stating a specific model at a certain price can be very misleading and\or difficult to acquire.

look for anything that falls within your budget that has:

a large enough screen;
for 16:9, anything above 28".
for ultra-wide(21:9 \ 32:9), anything 34" or above.

a high enough refresh rate;
120Hz or above, higher the better in most situations.

fast response time;
2ms or below, lower the better.

good contrast;
1000:1 or above.

good color\saturation;
16.5 million or above.

good pixel settings;
pitch: 0.23mm or above \ pixels per inch: 110 or higher.

viewing angle;
higher the better

if HDR;
HDR1000, HDR600 at the lowest.

panel...
you never know what models and prices you will find available at different retailers these days so stating a specific model at a certain price can be very misleading and\or difficult to acquire.

look for anything that falls within your budget that has:

a large enough screen;
for 16:9, anything above 28".
for ultra-wide(21:9 \ 32:9), anything 34" or above.

a high enough refresh rate;
120Hz or above, higher the better in most situations.

fast response time;
2ms or below, lower the better.

good contrast;
1000:1 or above.

good color\saturation;
16.5 million or above.

good pixel settings;
pitch: 0.23mm or above \ pixels per inch: 110 or higher.

viewing angle;
higher the better

if HDR;
HDR1000, HDR600 at the lowest.

panel type;
whether IPS, VA, TN, etc is mostly up to personal preference. many will swear by each type.
i researched and went to many stores over a couple months just to check out the actual difference and it is highly dependent on the actual model that you are viewing.
my IPS display with a high DCI-PC % looks much better than most of the other types of panels i experienced. but others will still claim otherwise depending on their personal preference or even particular fanboyism.

i would also recommend 1440p at the lowest resolution. a lot of people still try to argue that 1080p is fine, but that's usually because they don't have much experience with higher resolutions or that they just can't afford them and lash out at others because of it.

you should go to a Best Buy or other stores with different varieties of monitors and TVs and see what resolutions and panel types appear the best for you.

Reactions: RoguishThoughts
Solution

erik_h

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Which do you want more?

If you want to edit and do video, go large and 4k. I bought a lenovo p32u-20 for under $700 and it is AWESOME though not fast enough for serious gaming. If you want super fast speeds, you'll make other tradeoffs.

Reactions: RoguishThoughts

erik_h

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I will also say that I do not agree w/ "go to Best buy."

Places like BB up their saturation and color to make things "pop," which may well look good--but isn't the reason you own a high end photo monitor!

For serious photo or video editing you want both a wide gamut (shows all the colors you need it to show) and high accuracy (out of all the possible colors, shows the actual one you picked.)

For "looking good" you don't need that, necessarily.

TRENDING THREADS