[SOLVED] Recommended Motherboard for Ryzen 5 2600? (possible cpu overclocking)

Feb 9, 2019
I am upgrading from i5 4670k to Ryzen 5 2600. I have been researching non stop and just can't stop coming across mixed reviews between a few boards of interest.
I have a budget of around 100 to 150 GBP.

Few boards I have been looking at is B450 Tomahawk and b450 Gaming Plus.

I have found mixed reviews on these boards (msi in particular) regarding both BIOS Update issues and VRM heat issues when overclocking.

Overclocking the cpu to 4GHz at 1.4v (or less) may be done. So I'm looking for a board that will do this job with little to no issues.

I heard the x470-f boards are a possible board to go for but a little over budget.

Anyone with any other recommendations? and/or could maybe go in to more detail and opinions regarding the mentioned boards. Thanks!

Solution
I like both the X470 Prime and X470-F. Both are good boards.

FWIW, every board I've seen with dual EPS 8 pin connectors only REQUIRED one of them to be used. The second one is only required for extreme overclocking.

I think I still like a board that is designed for only one, on this platform at least. I haven't really seen anybody achiever an EXTREME overclock on Ryzen on anything short of the very highest end boards, using open loop cooling and high dollar B-die memory kits along with a power supply that has exemplary low ripple. There just isn't enough OC headroom on Ryzen for the most part to even GET to the extreme point, so those dual EPS connectors seem pointless to me.

I have to say though, if you take a REALLY good look at...
If you want to overclock, do yourself a favor and stick with a mid range X470 board, at least. Certainly B450 is a capable enough chipset and many of those boards are good overclockers, but most of the low medium tiered boards have issues with overclocking. Seems like they simply fudge the specs on the power delivery of some of these boards, and I've seen some reviews that clearly state that is the case.

I haven't seen this with any of the X470 boards and those mostly have good VRM power delivery configurations as well as better quality chokes and caps.

What country are you actually in?

Feb 9, 2019

Thank you for your reply, I'll take that in to consideration!
The Asus ROG X470-F board is on my mind if I can push my budget a little more...

Is there any specific x470 board you would personally recommend at a lower price than the Asus one I just mentioned?

I'm living in United Kingdom.

EDIT: How about the X470 Gaming Pro Carbon ? https://amzn.to/2TCRNlP

I like both the X470 Prime and X470-F. Both are good boards.

FWIW, every board I've seen with dual EPS 8 pin connectors only REQUIRED one of them to be used. The second one is only required for extreme overclocking.

I think I still like a board that is designed for only one, on this platform at least. I haven't really seen anybody achiever an EXTREME overclock on Ryzen on anything short of the very highest end boards, using open loop cooling and high dollar B-die memory kits along with a power supply that has exemplary low ripple. There just isn't enough OC headroom on Ryzen for the most part to even GET to the extreme point, so those dual EPS connectors seem pointless to me.

I have to say though, if you take a REALLY good look at most of the reviews, while there are some successes, almost all of the mid tier or lower boards end up with recommendations to not run full time overclocks on them due to thermals. You really need to spend more than £150 to get a decent overclocking board on AM4 regardless of whether it's B450 or X470.

Solution
Me personally? I would go with either the ASRock Taichi (Or Taichi Ultimate), ASUS Crosshair Hero VII or Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 (Maybe even Gaming 5 if the differences are the same between the Gaming 5 and 7 are minor and they have the same VRM power phase configuration like many past gen Intel chipsets of this series. You'd want to look into reviews of both boards, mostly the Gaming 5, to determine that for sure.)