[SOLVED] Recommended pagefile for 16gb ram and SSD?

pepitonub

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
Currently i have 16gb and my OS and programs installed on a 240gb SSD, games on the 1tb HDD, how to set up the pagefile?, disabling it on the HDD and setting it up in the SSD to 1GB MIN/2GB MAX as i readed?

SSD is a PNY CS900 240GB, bought it on november 2020, in crystaldiskinfo it says the health is good in 71% which i consider very low for a 4 month SSD.

Solution
I got 150GB Free space on the sdd.

Previously i had it on Automatically manage paging file size for all drives, could that be the reason why my ssd is in 71% health in just 4 months?
Highly doubt that automatically managed paging file causes that health drop.
I have several 8 years old 256GB SSDs running 24/7 (68, 443 power on hours ) and health is at 72% to 78%
It could be the disk itself or an app constantly writing to it.

What's the total Host Writes?
What's the total Power On Hours?
Currently i have 16gb and my OS and programs installed on a 240gb SSD, games on the 1tb HDD, how to set up the pagefile?, disabling it on the HDD and setting it up in the SSD to 1GB MIN/2GB MAX as i readed?

SSD is a PNY CS900 240GB, bought it on november 2020, in crystaldiskinfo it says the health is good in 71% which i consider very low for a 4 month SSD.
To avoid issues, let Windows handle the pagefile.

pepitonub

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
Unless you are running out of usable space on the SSD (~200GB consumed), just leave it as system managed.

Previously i had it on Automatically manage paging file size for all drives, could that be the reason why my ssd is in 71% health in just 4 months?

Now i have to set it to System managed size in the SSD and set HDD to no paging file?

USAFRet

Titan

Now i have to set it to System managed size in the SSD and set HDD to no paging file?
What specific SSD is this?
Make/model.

And no, having the page file on the SSD should not cause "health" to go down like that.
My system is SSD only. So obviously, the pagefile resides on the SSD.

I have several 8 years old 256GB SSDs running 24/7 (68, 443 power on hours ) and health is at 72% to 78%
It could be the disk itself or an app constantly writing to it.

What's the total Host Writes?
What's the total Power On Hours?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Agreed. I have similar.

250GB Samsung 860 840 EVO, 76k hours, 428 power on count.
CrystalDiskInfo reports 100% health.

EDIT: typo 860 to 840 EVO.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS