Tryte

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2014
Hi there guys,

I'm building my partner's PC with her and I need some recommendations for spray paint brands or certain colours of pink you've seen or used that will work well on the metal Cooler Master NR200P (white).

Would I need a primer or would the white be good enough to paint directly onto?

Much appreciated.

Solution
Where do you live? (Rhetorical question - a specific location is not needed or expected.)

The reason for the question is that, Covid-19 allowing, that you visit some big box stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Paint stores, etc. to take a look at both the paints available and the color selections.

If the case is already white, then you probably do not need any sort of primer and may be able to directly spray on the metal paint of your choice.

However, some metal paints include primer.

Also, if the case is glossy, it may need just a light sanding to roughen the surface so the new paint will adhere and not start dripping or streaking.

It is often better to plan on applying two light coats per the manufacturer's instructions...

Ralston18

Titan
Where do you live? (Rhetorical question - a specific location is not needed or expected.)

The reason for the question is that, Covid-19 allowing, that you visit some big box stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Paint stores, etc. to take a look at both the paints available and the color selections.

If the case is already white, then you probably do not need any sort of primer and may be able to directly spray on the metal paint of your choice.

However, some metal paints include primer.

Also, if the case is glossy, it may need just a light sanding to roughen the surface so the new paint will adhere and not start dripping or streaking.

It is often better to plan on applying two light coats per the manufacturer's instructions. Allowing the recommended drying times between coats.

Going to the store will allow you to look at all of the products and read the preparation requirements (hopefully nil beyond simply wiping dust off of the case), maybe some sanding, and most importantly the application of the paint itself.

Plus you can look at the "pinks" to get some idea of how the end result may actually look. Subjective....

Should be straightforward. Plan accordingly and take your time. Spray paint outside if at all possible well away from things.

Solution

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021

I'll second this, not enough to go all the way through the factory paint but enough to roughen the surface to help the new paint stick, I probably wouldn't actually use sandpaper, my usual product of choice is "3M scotch-brite Maroon grade" because it's abrasive but not enough to leave you with deep scratches that show through the spray, If you can't get hold of that use the finest sandpaper you can get. After you've done this clean all the dust off with a damp cloth then leave to fully dry

If you take the above approach you can probably get away without primer (because the factory paint that you've now roughed up to a matt finish) is now acting as primer. To get an even color I would recommend doing at least three thin coats to avoid drips (as Ralston18 said), usually it says on the can to do them 15-20 minutes apart, depending on temperature, what your aiming for is to do the second/third coat when the layer of paint underneath is almost dry but very slightly tacky, you should be able to touch it without damaging the surface but it shouldn't feel fully hard

as for what kind of paint to use, any spray designed for use on metal will do, as a rule of thumb I never buy the cheapest brand, but the second cheapest is usually fine, the last paints I bought were Hycote and I got good results on metal with them

because pink is a tricky color to buy off the shelf, I would go to an automotive store that offer a color match service, where they would be able to mix a shade exactly the same as something you brought in, or from catalogues of thousands of shades from car manufacturers, allowing an almost infinite choice