Recommended parts for a new Ryzen 5 2600 build

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
For a Ryzen 5 2600 and 390x computer. Below are 4 popular motherboards and found parts on Amazon that are on compatibility lists for the motherboards. The budget should be under $420 for motherboard/ram/ssd, but under $400 is ideal. You can also recommend a case cause might get a new one if I leave room for one. Mostly after a stable system that will work great and have zero issues functioning.

Asus Build: $415
Asus Strix X470-F + Trident Z 16gb 3000 + WD Black 250gb M.2 2280

Options: Asus Strix B450-F (reduced total $365)

Gigabyte Build $368
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra + Trident Z 16gb 3000 + WD Blue 500gb M.2 2280

Options Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (reduced total $350)

OR

With any 4 of those motherboards recommend RAM and SSD that is in compatibility list.

Asus Compatibility List

Gigabyte Compatibility List

Solution
The Gigabyte board will have much better VRM for overclocking.
All three kits of RAM cost the same so I just put two of them to $0 but added them so you could pick which style you like.
The Crucial MX500 is better than an 860 EVO and is priced very competitively. Honestly the best choice of an SSD for price to performance, can't get better for less or even the same price.

There is no point in getting an NVMe drive unless you are doing things on your PC that would severely benefit from the speeds.
Stuff like huge file transfers over network to NAS configuration and stuff.
Otherwise, there's no real difference between a quality SATA based SSD and an NVMe drive when using it for your OS, apps, and even games. At least, not a difference...

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Think I'm gonna go with the Asus Strix X470-F, with the Trident Z 3000 16gb. The best SSD seems like the 970 EVO M.2, it costs more, but at least if I'm spending so much more than conventional drives, its a landslide difference in speed, like 2000 r/w, but it will put me over my budget, but I think its money well spent.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The Gigabyte board will have much better VRM for overclocking.
All three kits of RAM cost the same so I just put two of them to $0 but added them so you could pick which style you like.
The Crucial MX500 is better than an 860 EVO and is priced very competitively. Honestly the best choice of an SSD for price to performance, can't get better for less or even the same price.

There is no point in getting an NVMe drive unless you are doing things on your PC that would severely benefit from the speeds.
Stuff like huge file transfers over network to NAS configuration and stuff.
Otherwise, there's no real difference between a quality SATA based SSD and an NVMe drive when using it for your OS, apps, and even games. At least, not a difference you are going to be able to see with our own eyes.
So it's better for the average user to just get a regular SSD or in this case an M.2 SATA SSD which is actually capable of being a little bit faster than a regular SATA SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($133.70 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ B&H)
Total: $348.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-02 04:10 EST-0500

Solution

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

So you think that Aorus Ultra Gaming from Gigabyte is the way to go?

I was looking at compatibility charts, and they don't show t hat MX500 or the non-RGB Tridentz. You positive these would work together?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
There is not such thing as a compatibility chart.
There is QVL's and just because something isn't on a QVL doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Just means that the manufacturer didn't physically test that specific product on the board so they don't have any guarantees.

But yes. It will work fine.

RGB RAM is more expensive.
If you want to spend the extra money on RGB then go ahead.

I chose what was best for price to performance to fit within your budget.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

I don't even have a glass door and my fans are noctua, so I don't think I care about RGB versions. I just want whatever will function best.

All I really care about is that when I get the motherboard, it works. And in 8 years I can tell people its still running 24/7 inside the little HTPC the kids use, which is exactly what I can say about my first gigabyte board, which is inside a HTPC in family room right now.