Question recommended power supply for Graphics card!

ricardovanhoutennl

Reputable
Dec 4, 2017
Hi there

i have a Question about recommendation power supply needed for a Graphics card

My PC
Mobo: MSI x570 Gaming Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (Third Generation) RGB Water-cooled
GPU: Radeon RX 5700XT
RAM: 16GB 3000Mhz Corsair RGB
Power Supply: Seasonic

i was wondering why AMD Recommends a 600Watt Power Supply for the RX5700XT, Cause when i orderd my pc the company that was building my pc called me to tell me that the 650 Watt Power Supply is little to much for my RIG and that i can reduce costs a bit, And 500Watt Should be fine. but why does AMD Recommends 600Watt than? i never understood that part. Can someone explain it to me?

Greetings
Ricardo

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Because power draw varies on your usage and application, and your other components also draw power but AMD can't make judgements based on that, as every system is different.

Equally people who OC require more power draw, so those who are sitting with an RX5700XT and a 9900K overclocked to oblivion will require more power.

Some people have several peripheral or storage devices, fans, USBs etc. which all draw power, so they're making an estimated and safe estimation for the typical user. On average the RX5700XT would probably require 550W but a good quality 500W might do fine if the rest of your system doesn't draw too much.

Ultimately the first thing that would happen in many cases if they recommended only 500W is someone would buy a cheap 500W PSU, plug in a mass amount of all their other components then complain when their PSU blows and takes out the rest of their system with it.

The RX5700XT can pull over 200W under heavy loads, so sometimes 500W can cut it fine along with all your other components.

That and finally remember that wattage is useless without quality.
A good quality 500W would probably be fine.
A bad quality 500W would not.

At the end of the day compared to a CPU or a higherend GPU the PSU is in reality a pretty inexpensive part of your build but the conerstone of the whole house. I have an OC Ryzen 2700x and an RTX 2080 OC and would I need a 700w PSU ? probably 600w I would getaway with but headroom for that extra fan, charging the phone on USB, the RGB strip etc is there for the sake of 30-50€. Smoke and bangs 'aint no fun, get quality overhead and sleep easy.

Cheers

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's because not all psus are created equal. There's good+ quality, mediocre quality and junk. You'll find than most junk either misrepresents it's outputs or downright lies about it. You get a 500w platform and a 700w title claim because they add in the 5v+ to the 12v rail. That and most junk becomes a time bomb after @ 50% loads.

So it's recommended high, but if you have a good+ psu you can be slightly under.

There are no good 500w psus I can think of, only 550w, so that's the minimum I'd recommend. With OC demands on cpu/gpu often times it's better to bump that up 100w, and with current competitive pricing, often the 650w version is cheaper anyways.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf
I agree completly with you
Karadjgne
That is why I wrote "quality overhead", my first desktop was a pre-built with a crappy no-name 500w PSU (did not know better at the time). With what was in CPU wise etc. it should have been fine but if I put a fan or a light on the MB USB it crashed under load due to not being a 350w in the real world. I have built a few PC's now and the newer BeQuiet ranges seem to be really good for example.

ricardovanhoutennl

Reputable
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks for all the information. I asked this because i turn on the computer i hear a very high pitched beep or whistle i thought about coil whine but i wanna know for sure! Im affraid it blows and take my whole computer down with it.

But the company that build my pc called me that 650Watt was overpowerd and that i can reduce costs and 550 watt is fine!

TRENDING THREADS