Info Recommended PSU capacities for gaming graphics cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are my recommendations for PSU requirements on gaming graphics cards. The recommendations are not intended to be "minimum", as there is certainly some overhead built into these recommendations. The reason is twofold.

For one, many users will opt for lower quality models regardless of whether they have been advised against it, and in those cases choosing one that is moderately higher capacity than what they actually need will hopefully allow for fewer problems for those types of users. I don't recommend being one of those types of users, for the record.

Two, even for those who opt for high quality models it will offer some additional flexibility in terms of what level or TDP of processor, any overclocking and just the general addition of extra hardware beyond what most standard mainstream systems might include. Plus it's simply better to be running in a specific range when it comes to capacity for the sake of getting both the most efficiency and the most longevity out of your power supply.

There are no model recommendations here. If you want or need recommendations on specific models I suggest you take a look at both of the following threads.

PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread

PSU cultists power supply tier list

This is a work in progress, and I'll be adding to it and tweaking some part of it as I go. The recommendations here are based on a variety of information including data from the old RealhardtechX PSU recommendations, suggested
capacities from various board partners, Nvidia and AMD specifications, professional reviews and input from other knowledgeable sources in the industry.

I do not plan to extend the recommendations further back than what is already listed here, because anything older than the last models on this list are entirely irrelevant at this point and regardless of the idea of "retro" enthusiasts
there are simply not enough reasons to put in the additional work at this time, even for the sake of completeness. Perhaps at some point down the road but for now this is as far back as it's going to get.

I will however add new models as the information becomes available, and as time allows. I hope this is useful to some of you.

i3Nj0h2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.