Question Recommended PSU to buy

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I am looking to upgrade my psu;I have a thermaltake smart series 500w 80 plus right now and I am looking to get a new psu that has 600w-700w. I want to know which ones I should be looking into at an affordable price.

RealBeast

Titan
I am looking to upgrade my psu;I have a thermaltake smart series 500w 80 plus right now and I am looking to get a new psu that has 600w-700w. I want to know which ones I should be looking into at an affordable price.
Buy a good quality PSU, I usually go with one made by Seasonic or Superflower. If you look you can find a sale price that is not much more than the other junk out there.

Reactions: maag2
I am looking to upgrade my psu;I have a thermaltake smart series 500w

Almost anything is an upgrade from a Thermaltake Smart.

These are the cheapest PSUs from each of the "big brands" that I would ever suggest:

Corsair: The CX Series (non "M"): LLC w/ DC to DC and rifle bearing fan. "Bronze" efficiency. Non-modular.

Thermaltake: Only products that have "Toughpower" in the name. They're LLC with DC to DC. Modular.

Cooler Master: MWE V2 (not the "non V2"): The V2 has LLC with DC to DC. Both the "White" and "Bronze" versions of the V2 use the same LLC and DC to DC topology. Either have rifle bearing fans. They are non-Modular.

Antec: EAG PRO: LLC with DC to DC. Rifle bearing fan. "Gold" efficiency. Semi-modular. The new version has all black wires. Don't get stuck with the old version.

Another Antec: Neo Eco Zen: LLC with DC to DC. Rifle bearing fan. "Gold" efficiency. Non-modular.

The following are my "it will do" suggestions. They all have double forward topologies. I wouldn't use any of the below, but if you're on a really tight budget, they are options. Keep in mind, if you use a high end graphics card like an Nvidia 20 series (Turing) or AMD Vega or 5000 series, the main transformer is going to squeal like a pig. All of the below suggestions DO have DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V (i.e.: They are not group regulated).

Corsair: CX-M. Not to be confused with the non-M above. This one is not LLC. But it does have DC to DC like it's cousin. "Bronze" efficiency. Semi-modular. Black cables.

Corsair: CV650: Only the 650W has DC to DC. The 450W and 550W do not. "Bronze" efficiency. Non-modular.

beQuiet: System Power U9 is "ok". I'm actually not a fan of the active clamp platform the Pure Power and Power Zone uses. U9 has "Bronze" efficiency. Rifle bearing fan. Non-modular.

EVGA: The BQ Series. "Bronze" efficiency. Rifle bearing fan. Semi-modular.

SilverStone: Essential series. "Bronze" efficiency. Sleeve bearing fan makes this my lowest recommendation as sleeve fans wear out quickly. Semi-modular.

And then you can always pay more for a PSU, then you get features like full modularity, better efficiency (Gold, Platinum, Titanium), which also means the PSU runs cooler, a better fan (like an FDB fan), and in some cases the ability to monitor PSU voltages, temperatures, etc. Some have quieter fans than others too (zero-RPM fan mode or a better fan motor that makes less "buzzing" noise).

Hope this helps!

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020

These are the cheapest PSUs from each of the "big brands" that I would ever suggest:

Corsair: The CX Series (non "M"): LLC w/ DC to DC and rifle bearing fan. "Bronze" efficiency. Non-modular.

Thermaltake: Only products that have "Toughpower" in the name. They're LLC with DC to DC. Modular.

Cooler Master: MWE V2 (not the "non V2"): The V2 has LLC with DC to DC. Both the "White" and "Bronze" versions of the V2 use the same LLC and DC to DC topology. Either have rifle bearing fans. They are non-Modular.

Antec: EAG PRO: LLC with DC to DC. Rifle bearing fan. "Gold" efficiency. Semi-modular. The new version has all black wires. Don't get stuck with the old version.

Another Antec: Neo Eco Zen: LLC with DC to DC. Rifle bearing fan. "Gold" efficiency. Non-modular.

The following are my "it will do" suggestions. They all have double forward topologies. I wouldn't use any of the below, but if you're on a really tight budget, they are options. Keep in mind, if you use a high end graphics card like an Nvidia 20 series (Turing) or AMD Vega or 5000 series, the main transformer is going to squeal like a pig. All of the below suggestions DO have DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V (i.e.: They are not group regulated).

Corsair: CX-M. Not to be confused with the non-M above. This one is not LLC. But it does have DC to DC like it's cousin. "Bronze" efficiency. Semi-modular. Black cables.

Corsair: CV650: Only the 650W has DC to DC. The 450W and 550W do not. "Bronze" efficiency. Non-modular.

beQuiet: System Power U9 is "ok". I'm actually not a fan of the active clamp platform the Pure Power and Power Zone uses. U9 has "Bronze" efficiency. Rifle bearing fan. Non-modular.

SilverStone: Essential series. "Bronze" efficiency. Sleeve bearing fan makes this my lowest recommendation as sleeve fans wear out quickly. Semi-modular.

And then you can always pay more for a PSU, then you get features like full modularity, better efficiency (Gold, Platinum, Titanium), which also means the PSU runs cooler, a better fan (like an FDB fan), and in some cases the ability to monitor PSU voltages, temperatures, etc. Some have quieter fans than others too (zero-RPM fan mode or a better fan motor that makes less "buzzing" noise).

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your reply- I was actually going to upgrade to an nvidia 2060, I could definitely spend the money on a good psu so I will keep that in mind. These were very helpful.

Reactions: JoBalz
Yeah, I obviously go with the better units, mostly Prime titanium lately. But you go ahead and stick with generalizations selecting a few rare models. You'd probably like Diablotek or Raidmax as an overall brand recommendation?

Wow.. Ok.

My point is, you can't make generalizations. There are no "overall brand recomendations". No one brand is flawless. They will make models that are cheap because they know there's a market there.

If you own a Corvette, do you tell people that Chevy is the brand to get, even knowing that they could run out and get a Chevy Spark?

RealBeast

Titan
Wow.. Ok.

My point is, you can't make generalizations. There are no "overall brand recomendations". No one brand is flawless. They will make models that are cheap because they know there's a market there.

If you own a Corvette, do you tell people that Chevy is the brand to get, even knowing that they could run out and get a Chevy Spark?
No, but any 911 will pretty much do, been through 7 of 'em all red of course. And all my tractors are orange and not green. ;)

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Yeah, but I don't think the OP is doing SLI. :D

@maag2 : What is your build? Saying you need 600 to 700W... that's a pretty hefty size PSU for most builds.

Ryzen 5 2600
red devil rx 580 8gb
16gb ram
thermaltake smart series 500w 80 plus
GA-A320m-s2h

I am planning on upgrading my GPU and going with an Nvidia card.. having too many problems with amd gpu's. I want to get 2060. I dont really need a 700w, I guess more like 600 or 650? I have built this one mostly myself and I am pretty new at it lol. So, any suggestions would be great!

Ryzen 5 2600
red devil rx 580 8gb
16gb ram
thermaltake smart series 500w 80 plus
GA-A320m-s2h

I am planning on upgrading my GPU and going with an Nvidia card.. having too many problems with amd gpu's. I want to get 2060. I dont really need a 700w, I guess more like 600 or 650? I have built this one mostly myself and I am pretty new at it lol. So, any suggestions would be great!

More like 550W.

Suggestions? See my massive post above (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/recommended-psu-to-buy.3603290/post-21736677)

Also, where are you located? In the U.S., there's jack available. I just looked up some PSUs for another guy and it was a choice between a Corsair CV650 and a Thermaltake Toughpower Gold RGB at Newegg or a slightly expensive CX550 from Corsair's website.

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
More like 550W.

Suggestions? See my massive post above (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/recommended-psu-to-buy.3603290/post-21736677)

Also, where are you located? In the U.S., there's jack available. I just looked up some PSUs for another guy and it was a choice between a Corsair CV650 and a Thermaltake Toughpower Gold RGB at Newegg or a slightly expensive CX550 from Corsair's website.
I see your post, I meant any other upgrades I need to do if I plan on going with the 2060 other than the psu! And yes I am located in the U.S. I have also been using your suggestions to find the right psu.

I see your post, I meant any other upgrades I need to do if I plan on going with the 2060 other than the psu! And yes I am located in the U.S. I have also been using your suggestions to find the right psu.

Ok. I'm in the U.S. too and have been shopping around.

This is the best value in stock at Newegg:

Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 RGB: https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-...faga-1/p/N82E16817153392?Item=N82E16817153392 $79.99

Even the non-RGB model is more expensive and has a longer ship time because they're only available from the Canada warehouse.

I know you don't "need" 650W, but there are so very few PSUs available that aren't hot garbage that this PSU at $69.99 actually looks like a good deal:

Corsair CV650: Only the 650W has DC to DC. The 450W and 550W do not: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cv-s...a-650w/p/N82E16817139249?Item=N82E16817139249 $69.99

I checked Amazon and they have absolutely nothing. Well... they have one SilverStone PSU, but it's priced at twice what it should be, so stick with Newegg.

Reactions: neoking123456

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Ok. I'm in the U.S. too and have been shopping around.

This is the best value in stock at Newegg:

Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 RGB: https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-...faga-1/p/N82E16817153392?Item=N82E16817153392 $79.99

Even the non-RGB model is more expensive and has a longer ship time because they're only available from the Canada warehouse.

I know you don't "need" 650W, but there are so very few PSUs available that aren't hot garbage that this PSU at $69.99 actually looks like a good deal:

Corsair CV650: Only the 650W has DC to DC. The 450W and 550W do not: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cv-s...a-650w/p/N82E16817139249?Item=N82E16817139249 $69.99

I checked Amazon and they have absolutely nothing. Well... they have one SilverStone PSU, but it's priced at twice what it should be, so stick with Newegg.
I really appreciate the help! I think im definitely going to go with the corsair cv650 you recommended on newegg then! Again, thank you for the time you put in to help me!

Elad333k

Commendable
May 15, 2019

Hope this helps!

Does

Antec Neo ECO GOLD ZEN 700W Active PFC 12cm PSU NE700G Zen Retail

Will be good chooice for rx 5600 xt or 5700xt?

TRENDING THREADS