[SOLVED] Recommended PSU wattage for Vega 64

Winterandsnow

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017
I'm gonna upgrade my GPU from GTX 1070 to Vega 64, because I have a Freesync monitor. Now, I'm worried about my PSU Wattage - if it's sufficient. I've read a post on Facebook that his PC went stuttering due to the inadequate amount of wattage - he only had 620w. Help me with this. Thank you.

PC Specs:
- i5-8400
- Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 to Vega 64
- Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 2x8 3200mhz
- MSI Z370 SLI PLUS
- Seagate FireCuda 2TB SSHD
- Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650FX

Solution

If it was a Seasonic 620W then that's really a 580W PSU and depending on the model it won't have the proper connections/PCIe cables for the Vega 64.

The S12ii won't work, neither will the old model M12ii.

The newer 620W M12ii EVO has the connections, but it's still a 580W PSU, not enough.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The Seasonic focus 650watt is more than enough for your system with a vega 64 even with an overclock. I don't often hear of inadequate power supplies causing stuttering, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If a 620watt psu was inadequate for a vega 64, then they either had one power hog of a cpu, or that was a junk power supply not actually making 620watts.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed - and without knowing the full details of the person who wrote that FB post (did a proper removal of old drivers before installing new drivers? Is it a good quality vs a crap quality 620W PSU? Did they have adequate cooling in their case? etc etc) then you can't really go by it.

Seasonic is a top quality PSU maker, and 650 should be plenty, even for the Vega64.

If it was a Seasonic 620W then that's really a 580W PSU and depending on the model it won't have the proper connections/PCIe cables for the Vega 64.

The S12ii won't work, neither will the old model M12ii.

The newer 620W M12ii EVO has the connections, but it's still a 580W PSU, not enough.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS