[SOLVED] Recommended PSU watts

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
How far above the calculation are you supposed to go? PCPartpicker has me at 400W needed, would 550W work? And if I find something around 650W, would that be bad for the system?

Solution
Specs aren't completely set yet, but:

Ryzen 7 3700X
Dark Rock Pro 4
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Corsair Vengeance 2x16 GB 3200Hz RGB
2070 Super

Also, what supplies were you referring to when you said some reputable brands make bad units?

Yeah I would recommend a good 650 watt.

Corsair TXm or RMx
Seasonic FOCUS G or PX series
EVGA G2

Sadly right now due to alot of people building computers and the interruption of supplies from Asia PSUs are hard to find or they are being sold for a high price.
List your specs and we can give you recommendations. Typically agood 550 watt is more then enough for most systems, but anymore 650 is recommended.

But the important thing to remember with PSUs is that wattage or brand alone means nothing, some reputable brands make some truly junk units.

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
List your specs and we can give you recommendations. Typically agood 550 watt is more then enough for most systems, but anymore 650 is recommended.

But the important thing to remember with PSUs is that wattage or brand alone means nothing, some reputable brands make some truly junk units.

Ryzen 7 3700X
Dark Rock Pro 4
2070 Super

Also, what supplies were you referring to when you said some reputable brands make bad units?

Ryzen 7 3700X
Dark Rock Pro 4
2070 Super

Corsair TXm or RMx
EVGA G2

Sadly right now due to alot of people building computers and the interruption of supplies from Asia PSUs are hard to find or they are being sold for a high price.

Solution

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017

Corsair TXm or RMx
EVGA G2

Are you saying those are the power supplies from good brands that are junk? Or are you recommending them to me?

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Those are good brands and models. They also tend to be around 100 USD in most cases sometimes 10-20 USD higher or 10-20 USD lower if there is a sale
Those are good brands and models. They also tend to be around 100 USD in most cases sometimes 10-20 USD higher or 10-20 USD lower if there is a sale
PCPartPicker has those well over $100. Are there any other good ones? Corsair CXM or EVGA SuperNOVA G3 alright?

PCPartPicker has those well over $100. Are there any other good ones? Corsair CXM or EVGA SuperNOVA G3 alright?

The CX and CXM are budget tier PSUs, although not bad I would use one with a 2070 Super.

The EVGA G3 is better in some ways but has some flaws, there are better options on the market such as the ones I listed.

The truth is you may have to look around for power supplies on sites that aren on PCPartpicker due to the huge pc building surge going on right now and combine that with the world situation its slim pickings.

Try eBay sellers, local or regional electronic/computer stores etc. You could get away with a CX650 or CX650m but for the money they cost you can usually spend 10 or 20 more on something far superior.

Here is a quite good PSU for 129 https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-650-platinum-ssr-650px-650w/p/N82E16817151192

I also found this, this is a Microcenter brand https://www.microcenter.com/product...t-80-plus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply and from what I gathered is decent,probably in the same realm as the CX/CXM.

Also found this https://www.microcenter.com/product...tt-80-plus-gold-atx-semi-modular-power-supply which I would put above the Corsair CX/CXm, and Powerspec, but below the Seasonic G or PX series.

Last edited:

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
The CX and CXM are budget tier PSUs, although not bad I would use one with a 2070 Super.

The EVGA G3 is better in some ways but has some flaws, there are better options on the market such as the ones I listed.

The truth is you may have to look around for power supplies on sites that aren on PCPartpicker due to the huge pc building surge going on right now and combine that with the world situation its slim pickings.

Try eBay sellers, local or regional electronic/computer stores etc. You could get away with a CX650 or CX650m but for the money they cost you can usually spend 10 or 20 more on something far superior.

Here is a quite good PSU for 129 https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-650-platinum-ssr-650px-650w/p/N82E16817151192

I also found this, this is a Microcenter brand https://www.microcenter.com/product...t-80-plus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply and from what I gathered is decent,probably in the same realm as the CX/CXM.

Also found this https://www.microcenter.com/product...tt-80-plus-gold-atx-semi-modular-power-supply which I would put above the Corsair CX/CXm, and Powerspec, but below the Seasonic G or PX series.
Are there actual sale websites online that pcpartpicker doesn't show other than eBay? The only place for me to go in person is Best Buy, next closest is a microcenter over 4 hours away. One last question, when you were talking about SeaSonic, is Focus G one line or is Focus its own and G its own?

Are there actual sale websites online that pcpartpicker doesn't show other than eBay? The only place for me to go in person is Best Buy, next closest is a microcenter over 4 hours away. One last question, when you were talking about SeaSonic, is Focus G one line or is Focus its own and G its own?

You can order online from Microcenter.

The FOCUS without a G in its name is the older FOCUS line while not horrible had some faults. The FOCUS GM and GX are the newer models which are an improvement over the older models.

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
You can order online from Microcenter.

The FOCUS without a G in its name is the older FOCUS line while not horrible had some faults. The FOCUS GM and GX are the newer models which are an improvement over the older models.
I like the power supply on Microcenter. I've seen that Microcenter has great deals, but I didn't even think that they would have an online store. Plus, I don't think pcpartpicker displays their prices so I found another deal I liked. Thank you.