Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
What kind of PSU is recommended for this:

CPU: Ivy Bridge I-7 3770 3,4Ghz, MOBO: Asus P8Z77, 8Gb Ram 1866MHz - (might also try 16Gb later on), 1 Ssd drive 120Gb, there might be 3 drives in total), unknown graphic card!, the required fans.

I want to get a good PSU.

G

the choice of a graphics card could make the requirement go from 550 watts to 750 easily . . .

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
That was what I was thinking, where are the limits really? Is it true that sometimes a GPU requires more power (in comparison with another card), but gives you less resolution and detail?

stands for Power Factor Correction. It's what lets you plug the PSU into either 110 volt.60 cycle power(USA) or 220v/50 cycle(EU) without having to change a switch on the PSU, among other things.

G

some older GPUs can use more power than newer ones while not performing as well.

PFC; Power Factor Correction, in other words its know if you plugged into a 110 volt or 220v and adjust itself without having a switch on the back of the PSU.

Generally speaking, a good quality(emphasis on good!) PSU of 650watts should be strong enough for any single video card system, and 850watts for any dual card system.

G

there are A LOT of PSU calculating sites that overestimate the actual power needed for components and ATI and Nivida also over estimate power consumption on many of their cards; it just "snowballs" from there. . .

G

50% load is too costly.
because what is forgotten is PSUs lose efficiency under 20% load (idle) and over 80% (load)
if you system idles @ 130 watts than anything above 650 watts would be below 20% load. (130/.2=650) and if the maximuim was 520 watts at load. (650*.8=520) is perfect :)

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Great analysis.

If you look at the efficiency curve on some of these PSU websites, you can see it pretty much looks like a standard bell shape on most. You want to find a sweet spot but not go overboard, nor stress it too much.

The other thing to consider (besides watts and amps @ 12v) is how many PCIe connections it will have. The higher the wattage number, the great chance it will have more connections should you ever want to use more than 1 GPU.

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
What do you think, will the Coolermaster 600W silent pro gold, cover the needs of the build in the first post above. (3 drives, CPU). In that case what power-range is left over for the graphics card?

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
The most important thing is to get a good quality PSU. It is probably one of the most important parts of the computer. If you skimp out on the PSU and it takes a dump on you (and it probably will if its a junky one) there is a good chance that it will take other important hardware with it like the motherboard and video card. After you figure out how many Watt's you need I would go for a PSU from Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling.

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Well the coolermaster I have used lasted 4 years. And is still usable I believe, since it outlasted the mobo. Peak380W. So Corsair is better? Do they have any with gold certificate?

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
80+ certification doesn't mean anything in quality. All it means is how efficient it is under load. You can put a 80+ gold certification on a junky PSU but it's still a POS.

91662.png

I really don't likw or trust Coolermaster PSU's. I tend to stick with the ones listed because know they are good quality PSU's that won't randomly take a dump on me two days after buying it.

That's kind of amusing, guess I'm a geezer, 4 grandkids
I have never been a 50%'er
What I find amusing is that a couple of weeks ago I had a "young whippersnapper" telling me that a 380 watt psu wasn't enough for a system that was only going to draw about 180w from the wall under normal use. Why ? well because AMD reccomends 500 watts for the card that was being used, and his IT professor said so.

Power consumption of a 3820 ( 130 watt TDP compared to the 77 watt TDP of the 3770 ) with a variety of modern cards
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22653

750w is massive overkill for a single card system, a good quality 550w would run your specs with any card in the review and not make it to 50% load with a few of them

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Input appreciated.
Yes I thought so, too while selecting. I was considering using double cards. However one card is probably the right choice. The reason for the 750W is I wanted to try 3D editing, with this build. Thanks for the link, I will look into it.