[SOLVED] Recommended specs for a search engine server ?

Feb 20, 2022
Ive taken some time in designing a general search engine and have built a MVP on a grimey 4c i7 laptop that only sports 16 GB ram.

Ive got a proof of concept and I want to take the next step forward and scale it for more testing but I've never built a server-grade rig to really know what hardware features I should look for, especially for the CPU and mobo. I have a hunch that something like a threadripper or epyc would be swift and sweet but I'm frankly too dumb and inexperienced for those. For a very distributed demand like this, what CPU features am I to prioritize? Core count? Per-thread performance? Speed? Everything? Would lining up a bunch of i3-10ks be the "smart" choice?

Solution
Ive taken some time in designing a general search engine and have built a MVP on a grimey 4c i7 laptop that only sports 16 GB ram.

Ive got a proof of concept and I want to take the next step forward and scale it for more testing but I've never built a server-grade rig to really know what hardware features I should look for, especially for the CPU and mobo. I have a hunch that something like a threadripper or epyc would be swift and sweet but I'm frankly too dumb and inexperienced for those. For a very distributed demand like this, what CPU features am I to prioritize? Core count? Per-thread performance? Speed? Everything? Would lining up a bunch of i3-10ks be the "smart" choice?
I would recommend moving it to a cloud server on AWS.

kanewolf

Titan

I would recommend moving it to a cloud server on AWS.

Solution