Recommended SSD upgrade for laptop

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I'm looking for a fairly powerful, lightweight laptop with the following specific requirements:
- SSD
- Lightweight (< 2Kg)
- Battery life > 6 hours
- HDMI output
- Bluetooth
- Cost of 800 UK Pounds or less ($1000).

I haven't managed to find anything off-the-shelf, mainly because there are so few SSD-equipped laptops around, so I am considering buying a HDD laptop and upgrading it with an SSD.

My concern is making sure that the SSD and laptop are well matched (to take advantage of the improved performance and battery life). I was wondering if anyone had any views on whether the following would be a good combination:

Laptop:
Acer Aspire Timeline 3810T
http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_Timeline_3810T_Windows_7_Laptop_LX.PCR02.021/version.asp

SSD:
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5" SATA SSD (6Gb/s):
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/harddrives-ssd/crucial/ctfddac128mag-1g1.jsp

Can anyone advise on whether these two would be a good match, or give any general advice on upgrading laptops with an SSD?

LordConrad

Distinguished
In my experience, most laptops/notebooks (and many netbooks) use 2.5 inch hard drives. When I upgraded the Hard Drive in my HP dv6t laptop to an SSD, both drives were the same size and therefore completely interchangeable.

Personally, except for a few MacBooks and some Asus netbooks, I have never run across a mainstream laptop or notebook that didn't have a 2.5 inch hard drive or SSD in it.

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Other than basic form factor (2.5", SATA), are there any other things that I should consider? (e.g. variations of the SATA interface/spec which may affect performance?)

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I believe that laptop has an open space for a 1.8" drive as well as the 2.5" if you wanted to keep the HDD it has and add a 1.8" SSD. That laptop has SATA-II 3GB interface your SSD will be slightly bottlenecked.

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
The other laptop that I was considering was the Samsung Q330, which has a "SATA 300" interface - would that be a better choice if I replace the HDD with an SSD?