[SOLVED] Recommended temp for I7 9700k at idle

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
Update, so I replaced the Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo with a ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO. While the temps now are a few degrees lower prime95 still broke 100 celsius on a couple cores. Not on all like the previous cooler. I played FPS games for 3 to 4 hours last night and HWMonitor never went beyond the 80s for temp. Looking at the temps right now the MAX temp over the past 15mins just surfing the web is 60 degrees.

I ran a Heaven Benchmark and a 3DMark stress test. Highest temp 75 degrees celsius

While not perfect I think I'm good to go as long as I don't run the prime95 torture test. What do you think?

Hi,

I just installed the cpu in the subject. I'm not sure I put the heatsink on correctly. I've booted up and looking at HWMontoring

Depending on what core the temp ranges from 35 to 50 degrees celcsius.

Is this a good temp for idle and should they be changing constantly within those 5 degrees.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
with the fan off I can grab the heat sink and gently twist it back and forth.
What's the range of this twist motion?
If just a couple of degrees, than that's fine. Not like you'd be able to twist it by 90 degrees or something?
With that, do you think its ok or should I buy another heatsink. Maybe this one is a bit warped from the past couple of years of use? If so whats a recommendation for aournd $50? I don't overclock if that makes a difference.
Intel i7 and i9 cpus generally require better cpu cooler. Especially if you're running torture tests with prime95.
Be quiet dark rock 4 or Cryorig H5 woukld be a good option.

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
I think it's a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo. The same one used for the previous cpu.

I've installed a lot of heatsinks but I didn't like the fact that heatsink could be rotated back and forth even though the screws bottomed out. I thought the heatsink were supposed to be tight.

Do you think its fine if the temps are or should I reapply it?

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
What? That doesn't sound right.
Can you show a photo - how this rotation is happening?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

I agree it doesn't make sense. It's making me second guess myself. It would be difficult to get a pic. So with the fan off I can grab the heat sink and gently twist it back and forth.

I removed it and did a sanity check by watching a install video. I reinstalled correctly with a little less paste. It is tighter but still I'm still able to twist it but not as much.

The temps over all on HWMonitor have been within tolerance even when playing BV5. However when running Prime95 the highest temp broke 100c on a couple of cores.

With that, do you think its ok or should I buy another heatsink. Maybe this one is a bit warped from the past couple of years of use? If so whats a recommendation for aournd $50? I don't overclock if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
with the fan off I can grab the heat sink and gently twist it back and forth.
If just a couple of degrees, than that's fine. Not like you'd be able to twist it by 90 degrees or something?
Intel i7 and i9 cpus generally require better cpu cooler. Especially if you're running torture tests with prime95.
Be quiet dark rock 4 or Cryorig H5 woukld be a good option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samduhman
Solution

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016

Be quiet dark rock 4 or Cryorigh H5 woukld be a good option.

Ya, it doesn't twist/rotate very much at all. So with your response and considering the temps are good except for running prime95 I have the warm and fuzzy now of not stressing about it. I'll still upgrade the cooler as soon as I decide on one. I'll check out the two you listed. Much appreciated!