Recommended upgrade homebuilt PC?

Oct 27, 2018
I'd like your input on how I should optimize my PC, which hardware should I buy without bottlenecking my system? I want to upgrade to be able to play games with highest settings again for a few years.(Right now AC Odyssey runs unstable at 30fps on low/medium settings) Do you think it's possible without changing my motherboard/cpu?

Current setup:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU: i7 3770k
GPU: GTX 770(Has to be upgraded)
RAM: 2x4gb corsair vengance DDR3 1600
SSD: 120GB
HDD 2x 1TB
Cooling: Corsair H80i watercooler
Power supply: Corsair CX750M

Solution
Priority 1 is going to be the GPU. There are some really good prices to be had to the 10-series GPUs. Even a 1050 would be a noticeable improvement over what you currently have. Get what you can afford.
Priority 2 would be RAM. Getting up to 16 GB will give you some breathing room and less swapping with the disk. But that's going to be a small improvement compared to the GPU.
There are also good prices on SSDs now too so a larger SSD for frequently played game installs or even the OS would have the games load faster. Not so much FPS improvement but, personally, I'm impatient when it comes to game load times.
Sep 2, 2018
I test your specs in gamesystemrequirements.com & and it has low fps on 1080p to higher resolution.
And you should upgrade your GTX 770 to faster or better than GTX 770.
Don't worry to your CPU it runs fine,just your GPU to be upgraded

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It would be best to actually run monitoring software, and see what your GPU vs CPU usage is when playing the games you want to play.

Between the CPU and GPU, if one of them is running at 100% a lot and the other is not, then the one running 100% is the weak link.

If they both are, well, it's probably time for a new system.

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

According to this page, your CPU meets the recommended (not to be confused with the minimum) requirement, but your GPU is a little below the recommended (but a little above the minimum.

Keep in mind, the specs that Ubisoft is listing here for recommended is 1080p at a target of 30fps at high preset. The minimum is for 30fps at 720p with low preset.

https://news.ubisoft.com/article/Assassins-Creed-Odyssey-PC-Specs-and-System-Requirements-Revealed

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
Priority 1 is going to be the GPU. There are some really good prices to be had to the 10-series GPUs. Even a 1050 would be a noticeable improvement over what you currently have. Get what you can afford.
Priority 2 would be RAM. Getting up to 16 GB will give you some breathing room and less swapping with the disk. But that's going to be a small improvement compared to the GPU.
There are also good prices on SSDs now too so a larger SSD for frequently played game installs or even the OS would have the games load faster. Not so much FPS improvement but, personally, I'm impatient when it comes to game load times.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

How so? The 770 is a tier above the 1050ti (though the 1050Ti has the VRAM advantage, and the 1050 doesn't even have that). I honestly wouldn't replace the existing GPU unless going for a 1070, or MAYBE a 1060 6GB, or 580 8 GB.

Oct 27, 2018

Yes I'm thinking of buying a 1070 or 1070ti not sure yet. Just upgraded my SSD to 500gb and 16gb RAM.