Reconfigure new SSD with old HD storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hi all, I recently had to replace a failed SSD (Corsair Force 115GB SATA 2) drive RMA’ed and replaced with a (Corsair Force 120GB SATA 3) new one. The SSD is boot drive. The HDD storage is a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200. The HDD contains previous storage data and a Windows Backup.
I want to preserve all my data so I tried to “reinstall from system image” to the new SSD. With a windows installation disk, SSD and HDD. I kept getting a message “that the image is on a disk that needs to be formatted, use another backup”. I don’t have another backup.
I removed the storage disk and did a clean install on the SSD. The clean install went fine. I then installed the HD again. I rebooted. The motherboard detects both the SSD (OS) and the HD (storage) drives in “My Computer” and “Disk Management”. I notice in “Disk Management”, Disk 0 and Disk 1 both report Basic and online but Disk 1 has no “System Reserved” partition. It correctly displays previous partitions (size and names) including a "Windows Backup" I created under the old installation. The drive letters were changed, even though I didn’t format it.
So I can read documents, view pictures and video on the unformatted storage disk (HD). I created a "System Backup" on the old storage disk hoping it would create a system partition... it did not.
My concerns are these.
1. Does the HD storage drive need to have a "System Reserve" partition to function correctly? I want to be able to install programs from it and on it.
2. To create a new "System Reserve" partition would require Disk Format that would destroy all the data.
3. Should I back up all the data to an external disk, reformat, reconfigure partitions then replace data files and reinstall the programs.
Any advise thanks.

Solution
1. No
2. See above
3. You should be able to restore the old system image from the HD to SSD....tho you will have to boot from something with your imaging software on it (typically the imaging software CD) If that's not what you wanna do.....

- Open Disk management and restore your original drive letters.
-Install your programs over themselves in the same folders in order to in order to establish the necessary registry settings.
1. No
2. See above
3. You should be able to restore the old system image from the HD to SSD....tho you will have to boot from something with your imaging software on it (typically the imaging software CD) If that's not what you wanna do.....

- Open Disk management and restore your original drive letters.
-Install your programs over themselves in the same folders in order to in order to establish the necessary registry settings.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS