Reconnect to domain every morning

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Every morning when I come in to work I have to reconnect my computer to the
domain. My workstation is running XP. The domain consists of several win2k3
servers, two of which are Active Directoy Controllers. I log into my
workstation just fine, but if I try to access anything on the network, like
connect to a drive or open outlook to exchange, it asks me for a password or
says the link is bad. If it asks for a password it says that it already
tried that and it is no good. I then to to system settings and rejoin the
domain and all is well. Why does my XP not find the domain when I first log
in or when it first attaches to the network?

"#MS News" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Every morning when I come in to work I have to reconnect my computer to
the
> domain.

> My workstation is running XP. The domain consists of several win2k3
> servers, two of which are Active Directoy Controllers. I log into my
> workstation just fine, but if I try to access anything on the network,
like
> connect to a drive or open outlook to exchange, it asks me for a password
or
> says the link is bad. If it asks for a password it says that it already
> tried that and it is no good. I then to to system settings and rejoin the
> domain and all is well.

First of all, try to avoid doing that (unless the following fails):
when you computer account gets screwed up with the domain
"reset" it rather than rejoin -- usually this works.

(Right-click in AD Users/Computers or use DSMod from command line.)

> Why does my XP not find the domain when I first log
> in or when it first attaches to the network?

It should; this doesn't normally happen.

Ideas:
1) Multiple DCs which are not replicating (so workstation is
getting confused between the two)
2) Bad DNS -- I don't quite see this but so many problems with
replication and authentication are DNS really

DNS
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS client NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC.

--
Herb Martin