Record DDR3 Memory Overclock on ASRock Micro-ATX Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
at this point though what does it really do performance wise. I get it processing wise but with ram speed I'm just a bit confused with how applications are now days are you really going to improve things a ton with memory speeds at this point I know the number is nuts but still question remains.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
It's not about usable performance. There's two things here.
1) Knowing that it's possible to do with a specific configuration. Think of it more along the lines of Proof of Concept. Proof of Concept doesn't have to have an immediate practical use.
2) It's about doing it for the sake of doing it.

It's the reason why we drive cars easily capable of exceeding 100mph/160kph, yet very few of us ever go there on a daily basis. :)

InvalidError

Titan

That depends a lot on whether your software is more bandwidth-bound or latency-bound.

Since this memory is running at over 3X your memory's clock speed, the latencies are equivalent to 5-10-10-16 at 1333MT/s which is not that bad. The much higher bandwidth allows filling cache lines much faster and would likely make up for most of the loss on timings.

In general, the only type of code where lower latency systematically wins over bandwidth is very branchy and unpredictable code like compilers. For most mainstream software though, CAS latency and speed grades can be traded for each other with little to no net effect on performance.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Since I have yet to see a DDR3 kit above 3000MHz, do tell where you found these 4800MHz kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.