News Record on Quantum Entanglement at a Distance Broken, Pulling in The Timeline for a Quantum Internet

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Till today, we still do not have an idea how do the 2 particles "communicate" with one another despite the distance apart. What we know that the "communication" is instaneous and without any measurable delay. Yes, this means this happens faster than speed of light, its instant.

I use " " for the word communicate because nobody knows how they interact with each other and how the state of 1 particle is passed to the other instantly. Really mind blowing.

Btw, another chinese team measured this "communication" speed quite sometime ago and found that its around 3 trillion meter per second....

Do note that this is more of rought measurement. Reason is that we do not have any equipment capable of mesuring such speed precisely.

3,000,000,000,000 <---- quantum communication
299,792,458 <---- speed of light

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
What we know that the "communication" is instaneous and without any measurable delay. Yes, this means this happens faster than speed of light, its instant.
I don't claim to understand the physics, but Wikipedia pours cold water on that:

No clue if that truly represents scientific consensus, but I'd say don't get too excited until superluminal communication is actually proven.

Btw, another chinese team measured this "communication" speed quite sometime ago and found that its around 3 trillion meter per second....
We always have to allow for the possibility that they weren't measuring what they thought they were. This has been the case with everyone who thought they observed superluminal communication, in the past.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
A key point the article doesn't mention is how long the two systems were kept entangled. More specifically, how much data could be transmitted, before entanglement was lost?

Because, if the amount was small enough, then you'd pretty much need a continuous, direct optical link between the systems, which would impose a significant burden for practical implementation.