Recording a video game using two computers?

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Hello everyone, this question applies to streaming, twitch.tv, or recording using DxTory. Is there any way to record using two pc's to lower the performance impact on the "gaming machine"?
If so how would I do that?

Eavon

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
You can record to another drive across a network a.k.a recording to a server for data storage (if setup properly), I wouldn't suggest this (as there are less expensive ways to conquer this). I would recommend purchasing another hard drive(or SSD), and recording to that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $97.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-08 14:32 EDT-0400

Or

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $48.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-08 14:32 EDT-0400

I recommend the HDD, since you're playing on another, you can have the hard drives full potential, and it shouldn't slow your PC down no where near as much. But if you want to risk slowing down over storage space, choose the SSD. (They're so much faster)

Now for streaming, that's completely different. You're going to have to play with the settings yourself. I do recommend using OBS (Open Broadcasting Software) for that, it's less resource intensive. Make sure you have decent internet!

https://obsproject.com/estimator <-- Use this to see what settings you should be at.

P.S. Don't bump your topic 2 hours later. :) A lot of people don't take kindly to it.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Okay I'll not bump topics so shortly after, didn't realize it was only two hours difference.
The platform I have is a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, I have an older pc I can use which has an i7 2600k cpu but my gf will be using that to game on.
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/surface-pro-2-specs
with OBS my performance impact seems very low, so maybe that is my answer.

But I am curious on how with two PC's would I record a single one.

Eavon

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Either way you're going to be using cpu/gpu/ram/hdd performance on your system. It won't help trying to record on one PC and saving on another. Other than that, I don't understand what you're asking.