Recording noob...Latency question on PC

monsterrain

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I have decided I would like to begin recording with my guitar on my pc. I tried, but the audio latency is too distracting between what I play and what I hear. The latency sounds like it must be approximately 200ms.

I am using a Windows 7 64-bit desktop machine with an i7 and 16GB RAM. I am just using the integrated sound on my motherboard and using the line-in jack. I'm guessing that sound is just like video when it comes to quality and being integrated/shared.

Would buying a sound card or audio interface reduce the latency to a manageable level? I am new to this, so I am trying to get my bearings.

xboost

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
It may be both caused by software and sound part of your mobo. If your modo doesnt have good sound units but just a realtek chip, buying a sound card should help.

Meepz

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
What cable are you using? latency is mostly cased by having your cable not working with recommended setting on the recording software.

monsterrain

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

I think that is the problem. I ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, so that will take care of any latency. It has direct monitoring.