[SOLVED] recording the U Tube

catch35

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
I am an 83 yr old vet who knows literally nothing about camcorders. I would like to buy one that I can record historical videos from the U tube and edit them as I record them from the computer. My VCR use to work for this but it is phased out. I then want to play them on the TV. Can you recommend a camera for this? Thank you

Solution

A cheap USB capture card will work with VCR sourced files. That is not how I am reading this.

I have something like this device that I used to copy VHS tapes to my PC to burn DVDs with:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158282

Came with Roxio's Easy VHS to DVD:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABJY8N58868

It sounds like catch35 wants to record video from his screen with a camcorder and then edit the camcorder video files on his PC. If that is correct, saving the Youtube videos directly to the PC and editing (mostly using snippets, I assume) into a...

catch35

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Thank you for your kind attention and help. I don't think you
understood the question. I keep getting the same answers from other
sources.. You see, I want to edit the U tube videos as I record them.
I want certain segments of different ones in order to make one that
has the material that I am interested in. Then with the segments
recorded at the same time, I have a new video I can watch. If I
wasn't going to edit them, I could simply watch them on the U tube
site. What I want is to collect information on a certain subject for
instance, the Panzer III tank, and complete a video that covers the
information I am interested in. Maybe I'm doing a poor job describing
my problem. What I would like to do is have my old VCR again but they
screwed me when they went from analog to digital. I want a camcorder I can set up and actually take pictures of the U tube videos and edit
them as I record them. Then with the camera and an HDMI cord I can
watch them on the TV. Again thanks for you help and any further
advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
a dvd recorder would make more sense than putting a camera in front of tv/monitor (which would only degrade quality),
but for that to work, you would also need a capture card to get the signal from the pc to the external dvd recorder.

lots of software available to download the (youtube) videos or even record them (while watching them on the computer),
as long as you have video editing software on the pc to cut them later on.

any computer place (like microcenter) close that you could visit?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

When you were using your VCR, how were you editing the video you captured and creating a single video (as I understand your intent)? What application/program were (are) you using?

You should be able to do the same/similar with direct captured Youtube videos. That is what I was suggesting earlier.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

A cheap USB capture card will work with VCR sourced files. That is not how I am reading this.

I have something like this device that I used to copy VHS tapes to my PC to burn DVDs with:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158282

Came with Roxio's Easy VHS to DVD:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABJY8N58868

It sounds like catch35 wants to record video from his screen with a camcorder and then edit the camcorder video files on his PC. If that is correct, saving the Youtube videos directly to the PC and editing (mostly using snippets, I assume) into a single file for playback is certainly possible, without the camcorder.

Solution

catch35

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Now you are getting to the point. I want to edit the matter as I am
recording and the camcorder would do this simply I think?. Just go from "'record" to "stop" which is all the editing I need to do. The
editing programs on the net are a nightmare to operate, so far as my
limited knowledge extends,,,,,,,, The camcorder just turn on and off
and that appeals to me. Thanks to you I am getting closer to what I
want..........Feel free to tell me where I am going wrong......Thanks
again for your generous help.....

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood. What is your budget?

In the meantime, a kit like this would do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/HDR-CX405-Handycam-Camcorder-Deluxe-Accessory/dp/B00I52L1LW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1546365550&sr=8-6&keywords=camcorder

catch35

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
I want to do this as simply as possible. I think the camcorder will give better quality than a still camera. Please try to understand I don't want to record the video and afterwards edit it. I want to take segments from different videos and make a video of material I am interested in. Editing is simplyi on and off with the camera. I rhink COLGeek has the idea. I need a camcorder that (1st) will record up to a 30 min video, (2nd) that has an HDMI outlet (3rd) that has a 120volt transformer so I won't be buying batteries by the truckload. Then I record, editing (on and off) as I go, retain the new video I have made, and simply turn to camera on to play the movie on the TV via HDMI cord. ............. that is as close as I can come to the old analog VCR recorder that I use to use, which doesn't work any more because of the conversion from analog to digital............ The electrical powers that be don't seem to want me to be able to do this...........I admit I am old and ignorant of the new technology but I am trying to approach the problem as simply as possible. "capture" cards and such seem the long way around. Anyway I do appreciate all the help you have given an old fool. There are still so many nice people in the world. Thank you

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
would be a lot cheaper, and most of the time easier to just do it on the pc, and use a tool to download the video from youtube (YTD dl is free),
and would also not introduce any additional loss of picture quality (vs camcorder).

free software like xmedia-recode lets you "trim" videos (by cutting from beginning/end), and if numbered from 1 to XX,
you could copy them on usb stick or even burn cd/dvd for playback.

(just me: i see more "use" for +150$ then spending it on a video cam, for just to not have to "learn" how to do stuff,
but if its only about "convenience" for you, like COLgek said, a video cam(or maybe a dvd recorder) would do it...