Recording TV, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am very new w/ video editing, and have a few questions. I have a ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon. What i want to do is record some of my farovite TV shows. Do u guys know any good video capture software (better than ATIs TV software) that can save to different formats. I also would like to know how to convert these recordings to DivX. Also, know any good software to edit video, i.e. cut out commercials. Thank u for any help u can give me.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I also have an Aiw Radeon. If you want a legit/exensive solution check out Adobe Premere. One of the varieties of Virtual Dub/Nandub will do the editing for free. See <A HREF="http://www.doom9.net" target="_new">http://www.doom9.net</A> for downloads and guides.

VD will also let you capture but the codecs that compress farther then mpeg2 are too slow to work in real time. I capture using ATI's software in custom mode and convert to divx later offline.

VD is kinda weird cause 3rd partys modify it. The "stock" version has less options then some of the hacks. Nandub is a good version to have. Say by by to the commercials.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

G

Hey, that was a big help, thx. do u have any idea why when i record using AIWs software it does not record the sound? Ive tried the faq things on atis web site, any ideas?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you get sound when using ATI's TV player? I would check the connections and then run setup to select the proper audio input. You need a wire it does not come with to hook to your sound card. I believe that the cable you need is a stereo mini to dual rca female. I'm not at home so I can't say for sure, I'll let you know when I get home (late) tonight.

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
As lakedude says, you have to connect the AIW analog sound output to the sound card input. There are 2 options to connect the AIW sound out to the line in of the sound card, internal and external.

The internal one requires another analog audio cable (like from your CD-ROM to CD-in on the sound card). Basically you loop the CD sound through the CD-in and CD-out connections on the AIW and then on to the sound card CD-in. That's how I run my AIW with no problems. The advantage as I see it is that it keeps the normal line-in available on the sound card (which you need to input an external AV source for camcorder capture, etc.).

Look here for ATI's explanation: <A HREF="http://support.ati.com/infobase/2306.html" target="_new">http://support.ati.com/infobase/2306.html</A>

For some reason they recommend the external connection. Maybe it's easier to keep from confusing CD inputs and AIW inputs to the sound cards. If you have an internal (or external) "AUX-in" to your sound card ,this is the best option. Lastly, you have to set up the sound card software to get it to work.

Hope this helps,

BW

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bw37 on 12/07/01 07:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Correction

The cable to connect the AIW to the sound card is included with the package. The cable I was thinking of above is from the sound card to the stereo. If you are using regular pc speakers you shouldn't need any extra cables unless you are going for an internal connection.

BlueRain

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Not sure want you want to do exactly ,but have you looked into the "hi-pix" card?

You can record HDTV/Digital to your harddrive and view on monitor in HD or HDTV if you have one.

It decodes OTA HDTV (over the air)signals so you don't need a decoder to view on PC or HDTV if you have one.

Check out AVScience.com, one of my favorite sites.

PS: I'm watching CBS (NYC) "First Monday" in HD right now with this card.](also recording it) :>>>>

Goodluck!

Blue

" Soon My Friend , Soon...."

Status
Not open for further replies.