Recording tv when tv is comp.monitor

rob33168

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hello,
What's the best way to record/save TV to your comp. when the TV is your comp. monitor?

Everybody LOVES my 46" comp. monitor which is also my HDTV!

I don't know if it's the *best* way, but certainly *one* way is the way it's always been done; use a TV tuner card. I know that may sound redundant since you already have a TV tuner. But the only way you’re going to be able to record TV output is by using a capture card placed between the PC and TV. That capture card might as well be a TV tuner card. And if you split the TV signal between the TV and TV tuner card, you have your choice of either watching the regular TV signal, or watching/recording the other TV signal fed into the PC. IOW, the real advantage you have is the ability to simultaneously watch and record different channels. And if your TV supports PIP (picture in picture), even better, now you can monitor either your TV or PC while using the other!

rob33168

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks for the response. Confirms what I've thought and heard. However... seems like there 'ought' to be a way to make your computer your dvd recorder/player or VHS recorder! Am I wrong - - those two 'mini computing devices don't have TV tuners, right?

You *can* make your computer the recorder, as I described it. But you first need some way to get the TV signal into your computer, which is why you need the TV tuner/capture card.

Years ago many video cards had a video INPUT port, so it was possible to capture video without an additional card. But you don't see that much anymore. That has given way to dedicated video capture cards.

Once you're able to capture the TV signal, then you need an application to process it. Many TV tuner/capture cards come w/ their own applications (unfortunately, usually not all that good), or you can use a built-in application (e.g., Windows Media Center), or commercial application (e.g., Beyond TV), or even free or open source alternatives (e.g., MythTV). But nothing's ever going to happen until you can get that TV signal into the PC!

“Am I wrong - - those two 'mini computing devices don't have TV tuners, right?”

Sorry, I don’t know what you’re referring to.