[SOLVED] Recording w/ 2160p60 -- Q. about bitrate

MouseAnguish

Prominent
Apr 7, 2020
At that res/fr, would you notice a difference between 130 mbps and say 100? 70? In other words, what are the visual differences when watching the unedited file? File size isn't an issue.

Solution
It depends on the game what bitrate is required. I like to compress 1 min test clips anytime I start capturing a new game. Then if you upload it to YouTube, you can count on their processing affecting the end quality, so waiting until it processes fully to the res you uploaded is advisable before judging quality.

It also makes sense to not exceed YouTube's recommended bitrate for each res, as their processing won't even make use of it. So it sounds to me like if you're uploading these to YouTube, you're using way more bitrate than you need to.

I upload primarily 1440p, but they are captured at 1080p. Their filters are much smarter now, you used to be able to trick YT into using 1440p processing rate just by barely resizing a 1080p...
It depends on the game what bitrate is required. I like to compress 1 min test clips anytime I start capturing a new game. Then if you upload it to YouTube, you can count on their processing affecting the end quality, so waiting until it processes fully to the res you uploaded is advisable before judging quality.

It also makes sense to not exceed YouTube's recommended bitrate for each res, as their processing won't even make use of it. So it sounds to me like if you're uploading these to YouTube, you're using way more bitrate than you need to.

I upload primarily 1440p, but they are captured at 1080p. Their filters are much smarter now, you used to be able to trick YT into using 1440p processing rate just by barely resizing a 1080p clip to 2048x1152. Now you have to resize to 1440p though.

Since their 1440p processing rate is 3-4 times that of 1080p though, it still looks noticeably better, despite not havign 1440p worth of pixels. YT's recommendations for 4K high frame rate is 53-68 Mbps. They max out at 60 FPS though.

Their recommendation for 1440p is 24 Mbps, but I have found 20 or 30 works best for me. It's rare I need to use 30, only Ghost Recon WIldlands so far required it due to it's dense ground foliage which can pixelate when traveling over it even at moderate speed.

The bottom line is it's always best to test compression methods on a short clip before wasting hours compressing and uploading a huge file.

Last edited:
Solution